Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yamatos' high casualty rate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, bought 20 yamatos for my 1 mnth old tank yesterday and saw most of them jutting around frantically after i put them in. one even jump out of the tank.

This morning saw about half of them gone to schrimp paradise. whats wrong?

i have 2 pieces of relatively big bogwood covering 60% of my 60x36x30cm tank. could it be the acidity of the water that causes this catastrophe? The tank is also not aerated but heavily planted.

Hope you guys could help me shed some light here. Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You cannot just dump them into the tank, they will die from shock(change in conditions). what you should do next time.
    1. float the plastic bag in your tank for atleast 2 hr (stablise temperature)
    2. Open up bag and poue some tank water into bag, wait for another 2 hr. ( Stablise water chemistry)
    3. Slowly release them into the tank.

Also you need to make sure that the tank temperature is not more than 30C

Jack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My last bad experience was when I put in a bogwood (from another tank) into the tank of shrimps and within less than a day, 70% of my various shrimps were dead.

I did a complete water change and remove the bogwood immediately and by then I was left with about 20%. All my CRS were wiped out.

From this, it could be the bogwood that could have change the water perimeter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    hi juggler,

i can't semm to access this page. i got the following error message:

"celticfish, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system? click here to view AQ members' privileges.
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

would appreciate if you could tell me how i can access the page.
    Thanks!

celticfish
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thing probably not transferred yet from the old forums. Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Acclimatising Caridina japonica aka Yamato numa-ebi

Yamato are prone to transportation shock. Though not proved, but many hobbist has experience casualties. Care should alway be taken to minimize shock. A knowledgable LFS owner will provide some sort of media for the shrimps to grip hold on. If this media isnt provided, please asked the one bagging them for at least a twig/sponge/leave/a stalk of aquatic plant

this is a step by step process on acclimatising yamato upon purchasing them,
    upon arrival, float the bag in the tank you which to introduce them to, at a 15mins interval, add your tank water into the bag, this is to acclimatize them to your tank's water parameters. when u achieve 100% mix of tank water, scoop them out of the bag and release them in.

once they are in, its normal for the hobbist to notice the newly introduced shrimps swimming around or going up and down, so do not panick. If you happen to see a potiental casualty, or if you find them lying on their side or lying on their back.. simply remove them and place them into a tub filled with tapwater, they 'usually' recover from it. But because yamato are very sensitive to high nitrate, remember to check on them if u tend to overfeed or go without water change.

these are from my experience alone with them, I trial and error with them when I first started 4-5years ago and so-called 'perfected' the process without any casualties ...
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could it also be a PH problem that's causing you to lose them...?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, I used to be able to do what Simon said with my Yamatos. However, recently I've to acclimatise them very slowly indeed, over a period of a 3 days in fact.

I place them in a small tub with the original tapwater for about 15minutes, then a small cup of my tank water is added.

Every few hours I add one cup, and I do this over a few days. On the last day, introduce them carefuly.

Even then I get casualties. *shrug*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I know when yamatos has healthy and happy, their tails will show 4 white dots and there is a silver streak down their backs, right?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, I just let the bag flow on the water for an hour plus before open it to let some water go in and use a clip to hold to the side of the tank. Keep adding water in between every half an hour(sometime lost track of time :P) usually it will be until night time before I release the shrimp into the tank. So far the 5 yamato still around. But a few of my cherries(out of 50) left me.
    For good or for ill, I will walk on the path chosen by none but myself.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Read some book that when water temperature is stablelised, it takes days and not just hours for the fish/shrimp to adapt to different water chemistry. Not sure how true is it, otherwise the practice of adding/changing water bit by bit might not help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    I know when yamatos has healthy and happy, their tails will show 4 white dots and there is a silver streak down their backs, right?
    4 white dots? Mine got 2 black dot on each end of the tail. They look happy to me.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    6 of my yamato died due to poor cycling of tank
    I dump them in when I got the tank without much cycling...
    guess the ammonia is high and all jump out and die

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    Mine has a silver streak down their backs, but not 4 white dots. I do seem to see more of 4 transparent dots though.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have this problem in my nano tank but not my big tank. Think its the sudden change of water parameter. For my case, everytime after water change for my nano tank, shrimps will die.
    Earth can satisfy our needs but she can't satisfy our greed, live light on this planet coz if we lose it, there ain't no others