Country
    Singapore

1st low tech tank setup - Advice and comments pls

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

Got assigned to Germany for a long assignment but the aquaplanting bug still never failed to get me over here. Been holding my urge for 1 year liao and finally buay tahan. Today finally got my set assembled from the poorly stocked yet EXTREMELY EX pet shop I found in my small little town....

Wanted to set up a 3-4ft low tech tank when I get back so thought why not make a trial tank here first! Here's my setup process and hearing your comments:

Tank size: 30X20X20cm.
    Lighting: 9W PL (will plan to on for 8hrs per day)
    Base fert: Sera
    Substrate: Neutral sand (small size) No brand
    Temp: Ard 25 degC
    Plants: only 2 types: Microsorium Pteropus (a crypt species I think), Eleocharis Acicularis (some sort of long hairgrass type) Wanted to only have Java moss, unfortunately cannot find over here. All the plants almost half dead in the shops. Think I will have problems with the Hair grass with the low lighting. For the crypt, first time trying this, I heard that you cannot bury it into the substrate, is that true? I leave it half buried cos no drift wood small enought to tie it to.

Livestock: Only 5 cloud cardinals (ard 2cm max in size), no prawns cos cannot find also Will add an oto or two later tomorrow. Funny thing here, cardinal tetra are actually cheaper than neon tetras! 1.25 Euros vs 1.99 Euros per piece. But shit is both are costing much more than Singapore.

Filter: None.
    pH/Kh: Dunno, no have kit here
    Fertilizer: Bought sera Florena liquid fertilizer, added 10 drops to start off dosing planned once per week.
    Water conditioner: TetraAqua Blackwater (min dos required for tank)

Total setup cost (without light): Euro 50.00 (ard SG100 bucks!)

I basically setup everything within a couple of hours, added the base then substrate, plant and add water. Once settled in an hour, add 2 fish. See two fish settling in fine, add 3 more remaining fish. Now pray and hope for the best.

Is the procedure above correct for low-tech tank? Do I need to add filter to help growth? How can I further ensure success?

Here's day 1 of the setup. I am hoping to trim the long hair grass in the foreground after it settle in so that the rockscape can be seen later.

Please advise....Kamsia

Day 1 - 27/7/2005
    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Crypts can be planted like hairgrass, don't worry. They'll start to melt off after a few days, don't worry too. They'll grow back surprisingly quickly when conditions are good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by adi99
    Plants: only 2 types: Microsorium Pteropus (a crypt species I think) ....
    Microsorium Pteropus is not a crypt species. Common name is java fern.

You could plant in substrate but make sure that the rhizome is above the substrate, not in it. Java fern can survive in low light, non-CO2 condition but growth will be slow.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No filter? Will there be any problem with the nitrogen cycle? And you probably need to change water more often.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No filter a problem?

Hmmm...I saw several bros here with a cube tank without a filter, will that be a problem?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    Microsorium Pteropus is not a crypt species. Common name is java fern.

You could plant in substrate but make sure that the rhizome is above the substrate, not in it. Java fern can survive in low light, non-CO2 condition but growth will be slow.
    Thanks for the clarification. Can you advise which part is the rhizome?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's the green stalk like thing that all the leaves are attached to.

You can go without a filter. It all depends on your judgement.