Country
    Singapore

Puffer Fish Substitution

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Everyone

Just converted my tank to a planted tank last month. All thanks to a good friend of mine who have been pushing me into planted tank. He's got a beautiful 4ft planted tank .

About 2 weeks ago, I discovered that puffer fish was used to clear snails found in the tank. I got myself 2 small golden puffer fish. The size of about 1.5cm.

Everything went well (I think so). I don't see any snails moving about, at least for the time being . But last night, I discovered that the smaller size puffer was attacking my neon tetra and most of them have their tails bitten off .

Question: Is there any other type of fishes I can keep to eat up snails found in the tank? What are they called?

Would apprecaite if bros here can give me some recommendations. Thank you in advance.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's the horseface loach

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    There's the horseface loach
    yes, this is my personal recommendation too. just one will do.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hoho.......... thank you very much for the fast reply and recommendation. can i get this horseface loach from LFS? roughly how much does it cost?

sorry ha!! 1 more question. heard that clown loach feed on snails as well . is this true?
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by riccia
    heard that clown loach feed on snails as well . is this true?
    It also grows up to 30 cm long. Got space for that?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks benny. my 2ft tank cannot accomodate something 30cm in size la. will go for horseface loach instead. btw, where is the best place i can find and buy it?

hi moderators

why is there a edit button on all my post? how can i disable it? i see other newbies posting and they don't have it le........ thank you for your advice .
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why is there a edit button on all my post? how can i disable it? i see other newbies posting and they don't have it le........ thank you for your advice .
    The edit button will only appear in posts made by you. This is to allow you to edit your post to add or remove relevant information. For example, if you posted some queries and wanted to give your tank specification, instead of posting in further down in the thread, you can edit your original post and put in the relevant information for all to read.

You don't have to use it if there is no need to.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hoho.......... thank you very much for the fast reply and recommendation. can i get this horseface loach from LFS? roughly how much does it cost?

sorry ha!! 1 more question. heard that clown loach feed on snails as well . is this true?

recently there was a lot of this horseface at LFS such as c328, but as of last week I didn't see them.

personally I wouldn't use clown loach as they are rowdy and also the colours may clash with your plants or other fishes. the horseface does the job quietly and you would be lucky to be able to see it at all.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

choy,

what happen when the snails are gone ? this loach will wreck havoc ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no lah. some how it'll find something to survive

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    The edit button will only appear in posts made by you. This is to allow you to edit your post to add or remove relevant information. For example, if you posted some queries and wanted to give your tank specification, instead of posting in further down in the thread, you can edit your original post and put in the relevant information for all to read.

You don't have to use it if there is no need to.

Cheers,
    thank you benny. I understand the function of the edit button liao.......

will try to get the horseface loach tonite. the puffer fish shall be isolated liao
    don't worry, be happy

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    ok... dun have snails yet... only 7 guppies haha :P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    After snails, would they go for shrimp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    went to a few LFS at Hougang and Serangoon area last night but could not find the horseface loach : .

if anyone knows specifically where i can get one, please let me know . preferably LFS in the east la.......... if not, i will try my luck at the pasir ris fish farm this weekend.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    After snails, would they go for shrimp?
    actually I do not think the loach specifically attacks adult snails. it takes in the gravel through the mouth and "spits" them out through the gills. whatever is edible in there gets retained which would be all the micro-organisms and very small snails. So after a while there will be no more snails because all the young gets eaten.

I don't think it will attack shrimps, except shrimp larvae, as part of the "micro-organisms".

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Horseface loaches can grow quite big also, right?

I was thinking of adding them but opted for Yoyo loaches instead... They stay small... I think! And they dun disturb fish or shrimps... My 2 cents...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Horseface loaches can grow quite big also, right?

I was thinking of adding them but opted for Yoyo loaches instead... They stay small... I think! And they dun disturb fish or shrimps... My 2 cents...
    oh, you haven't seen those big yoyo's huh? I have one about 5 inches if you want it.

the horseface has a long and pencil-thin body so it doesn't disturb anything.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh, you haven't seen those big yoyo's huh? I have one about 5 inches if you want it.

the horseface has a long and pencil-thin body so it doesn't disturb anything.
    Arrghh!!! Think I will be giving them away when I start to re-do my scape...

Hmm... Come to think of it... I think I heard you mentioned that Yoyos grow quite big when we met the other time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes but some yoyos remain small. we're still not sure if they are the same species or not.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kuhli loaches!!! cutest!!! my fav...

my yoyo is a nusiance... so are my clown...

but then again, i'm not quite sure kuhli eats snails..
    i'm OT...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast