Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is bubble counter important?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some shop bundled CO2 with JBJ regulator/solenoid, but use some cheaper brand bubble counter. Understand that JBJ also has bubble counter.

Does it matter whether to get a better bubble counter or anyone will do? Is that important?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,
    welcome to AQ....
    doesnt matter if it's a expensive or cheap bubble counter
    as long as it's properly sealed. i.e no gas escape, it's a good bubble ccounter

bubble counter is a good to have thing, since it's cheap, can get it around $4-6
    it allows u to see the bps, bubble per second and u can adjust ur valve etc to hit the ideal ppm.
    for DIY co2, it's even more important as it allows u to see when to change to mixture
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMHE, a good bubble counter (good, well-made, does not mean cheap, but usually isn't ) is very important especially if you are using a ceramic diffusor which involves high pressure. A lousy bubble counter with a diffusor literally guarantees a leak sooner or later.

I have finally settled on those from Bioplast, along with their black solid tubings. cost a bit more I don't have cylinders that empty in days any more.

anyway recently I have decided to dump diffusors in favour of those CO2 flipper (e.g. nutrafin). these do not involve pressure and hence it is unlikely to cause a leak.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Why not try Tom's DIY Internal reactor w/venturi? No bubble counters (built in design) or check-valves needed.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, bubble counters provide a visual "gauge" for how much CO2 I'm injecting into the tank. That's about their main purpose.

Just a note since alot of people have this misconception:
    I don't know if you know this, but it doesn't mean that if you're going at a high bubble count ( like 3bps ) it means that you have 30ppm of CO2 or whatever. You can have 3bps and have a mere 15ppm of CO2 in your water. Injection rate and efficiency of dissolving CO2 are two different things

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If I am not wrong, it also depend on the size of your tank.

Also, some ppl don't have a bubble counter, they measure thru the water ph and etc. Can't remember the extract fomula.
    For good or for ill, I will walk on the path chosen by none but myself.