Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

split filtration?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, may i know any body out there have tried to use the same canister filter to filter 2 tanks? me toying with the idea of filtering another 2ft tank with the existing 2224. anybody tried that idea? did it work?

i.e. split the intake from both tank into the filter and then the outflow to both tank...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The hoses from and to both your tanks must be of equal length. Height also plays a role because of the difference in pressure. Unless you create the same setup conditions for both your tanks, else there will be unequal filtration.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The hoses from and to both your tanks must be of equal length. Height also plays a role because of the difference in pressure. Unless you create the same setup conditions for both your tanks, else there will be unequal filtration.
    ----------------
    if i can get the tank to same height(that i know due to gravity..- i presume.. hehehe).. .. but the hose different.. it will affect the filtration too?? amazing..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes. Different hose size will affect the filtration. I gave up on the methods of sharing and combining filters and pumps. Always did not get the desired result. Thought adding two filters will have stronger filteration. But you must take note that the different models of filter have different suction power. Sometimes, the stronger filter will suck the water out from the weaker one(Sharing same inlet from the tank), defeating the purpose of having better filtration. I often have to dismantle and assemble, trying the different combo. Super frustrating. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Almost impossible to share. let's say you balance the output from the tank into the filter with valves already, but you will have to balance the input from the filter to the tank. Failure to do so will lead to one tank over-flowing and the other drying up.
    Let's say even if you managed to balance the "in" and the "out", pray hard that nothing clogs up the tubes, if not, you can bring out the mop and pail...

Unless, the tanks are on the same level, you can connect the two with a U tube. Either tank will only have a "in" or "out". In this way, you will have less headache, but again pray hard that the siphon in the U-tube dun break. and it is not very feasible if your two tanks very far apart.

I was thinking of overflow into a common tank first, but that is even more trouble than we started with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i will discourage you from doing it.

Reasons :

(1) you must understand that water goes into your canister from the inlet via siphon action, not due to the pump of the canister.

(2) thus if you have 2 inputs from 2 tanks going into the canister at the same time, and if the hose are of same size, essentially you have twice the amt of water going into the canister now.

The canister or the hoses doesnt know that the water comes from 2 tanks now, so they just take all!!

(3) now look at the output side. Your motor is still at the same flow rate.

(4) simple maths :
    twice flowrate in,
    same flowrate out.

what happens ?

pressure buildup in the canister.
    leakage or explosion definitely is in the picture.

If you REALLY want to do it,
    you have to make sure that

Total flowrate from 2 tanks = Original flowrate from a single tank, using orignal hose, at recommended high.

so you see,
    you need to adjust both pipe size and also take into account tank height of both tanks in your calculation.

I am not confident of doing it myself.
    Think abt it.