Country
    Australia

Question Maintenance of densely planted aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I've had a tank for a while now but am fairly new to aquatic flora. I've seen some pretty amazing looking planted tanks from links on this sight but am curious as to how you maintain them. I have a few plants and usually gravel vac around the plants when doing my water changes but I can't imagine this would be possible in a densely planted tank.

I've only got a relatively small tank (2ft x 1 ft x 1ft). I'm looking at getting a bigger tank as this will mean I need to be less diligent with cleaning and that I will possibly be able to get a few more fish...

Do those heavily planted tanks require a co2 system?

Any info you can share will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    V.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi vbee,

its more of balancing in planted tanks.

once u're done with the aquascaping u need to balance the co2, fertiliser, trace elements, lights and fish food into the tank

for 2ft tank get (5kg co2 tank, aquarium gravel (not sand), u can also choose from normal gardening cocopeat (albeit just to a max of 1cm dept) for the substrate
    so u get 3 layers (gravel, substrate+fertiliser, gravel), for lighting get 2*18 hi-grade T8 tri-phosphrous (make sure the lights can fit in the fixture).

use an 700l per hour external canister filter, those from china can do (atman, jebo,). slow filter water speed to trickle. BUT dont start the filter immediately after you finished aquascaping, let the ppt in the water settle down first.itll save you a lot of trouble later with 'dusty filters'

for the co2 part, use industrial co2 gas tanks. albeit startup is costly. it gives more bang for buck in the long run. (probably a year supply for a 5kg tank @ 1 bubble every 8sec)

u will be able to control the growth. unless u are planning a junglescape (max out every other variable including trace elements except increase amount of fertiliser slightly.) (then use grass like plant or mosses instead of stalky leafy plants as they dim the bottom of the tanks)

for planted tanks a small daily water change and small daily addition of fertilser fare better than major maintenance weekly.

keeping your livestock to minimum also ease maintenance.

after a period of 3months++ u're tanks are on "auto", just feed them, do daily small water changes, add fertiliser and trace elements daily (takes only 3 minutes for every thing)
    and admire your aquarium

btw, u dont need to siphon water from the tanks, just take a small container to scoop water out, and add water in.

keep gravel undisturbed, the plant will take care of that

so overall a planted just takes more planning than a "1 big fish tank" and if properly planned, maintenance is minimal

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbee76
    Hi all,

I've had a tank for a while now but am fairly new to aquatic flora. I've seen some pretty amazing looking planted tanks from links on this sight but am curious as to how you maintain them. I have a few plants and usually gravel vac around the plants when doing my water changes but I can't imagine this would be possible in a densely planted tank.
    No, you do not need to vacuum the gravel in planted tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbee76
    I've only got a relatively small tank (2ft x 1 ft x 1ft). I'm looking at getting a bigger tank as this will mean I need to be less diligent with cleaning and that I will possibly be able to get a few more fish...

Do those heavily planted tanks require a co2 system?
    Any info you can share will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    V.
    No, you do not need CO2 system for heavily planted tanks. Plants just grow slower without it. If you are looking for low-maintenance, I suggest that you give a non-CO2 tank a try. There are 2 main ways to do it, namely the Diana Walstad's method or the Tom Barr's method.

You can refer to the sticky linked below for Tom Barr's method.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=13623

The Diana Walstad's method calls for soil substrate and fertilisation through fish food.

Using these methods, you will need to do less water changes. Water change at about once every month or two will be enough. Some can go without water change for months. You will also not require to prune the plants so frequently because the plant growth are slowed down. Algae pose less of a problem too.

Personally, I think that non-CO2 is the way to go if you like to have a hassle-free experience of keeping a planted tank.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks ntoken and bclee! As my 2 ft tank is relatively small. I think I'll try the non co2 method. I'll look into getting a co2 system when and if I upgrade to a 4ft tank. They've got a 4ft at an aquarium I frequent but I just don't have the floorspace for it in our house. I'm looking at maybe getting a Aqua One / Aqua Vital 620T tank. Does anyone own one and can advise me whether it's worth getting? I like the fact that its so tall. My Angels will love it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    keepin the the tanks cool is another good way to supplement non co2 method