Country
    United_States

Metal Halide ??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey Everyone,

I am setting up a 110 gal show tank and I have a quick question about the kelvin used in the planted aquarium. The tank demintions are 48"L x 18"W x 30" H, and I have about 4" of Florite gravel. I am running 2-175w halides, and have a pressurized Co2 system. I bought 2 65k bulbs from the co named PlusRite. When I fired them up they look as if they are less than 4k! They are VERY yellow looking. I know it is not the water changing the look of the light, as when the light reflects on to the celing off of the water it looks yellow as well! My question is can I use 10k bulbs the I have for the plant tank without causing a alge bloom?? I have Amazon swords, Corkscrew val, and Water sprtie for now to soak up the extra nutri. in the new tank settup. I am going to change some of the plants later on, but fo now I am working on everything else on the tank to try to get it correct.

Thanks for any help Ya'll can provide,
    Drew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I have a 1x 150W MH...the yellow tint is dependent on the color tone of the bulb. I used to have the "warm" tone ones (looks like morning sun) but have recently changed it to a "daylight" bulb. I am using a OSRAM here...don't think we locals are have the PlusRite ones. So, to get rid of the Yellowing effect, I think you have to change the bulbs.

Btw...not sure about how many Ks I have...can seem to find that spec anywhere on the packaging .. but so far, my 2x2x2 ft tank is doing well.
    if you can read this, you are too close.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm pretty sure you can change them to 10K immediately. Just make sure nutrients are there.

YYMW though, I'm speaking from my experience of changing my PL tubes from 6500K to 8000K.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks for the help Guys!

I built a new hood for the lights and used new reflectors, and it helped quite a bit! The pendant the light was in was white, but the new reflectors are alum. that is 95% reflective. That in it self has made them look more natural, but if they get any more yellow as they age I will go with the 10k bulbs and will watch the amount of alge. Again thanks!

Drew