Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to control alage

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I know of a method to control it but do not know whether it works but someone told me that adding them in a planted tank will upset the water condition.

a)using horn snail or zebra snail

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Moss,
    Err......adding the algae or snail? your question kinda fuzzy leh.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by moss_guy
    I know of a method to control it but do not know whether it works but someone told me that adding them in a planted tank will upset the water condition.

a)using horn snail or zebra snail
    The best way to control algae is to keep your plants healthy so that the algae wont grow so much

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually my queries are do zebra and horn snails eat alage?

Will they upset the water parameter of planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Moss,
    Yes both of them do eat algae. but I don't think you want alot of them in your tank. Why not consider 'oto' or SAE, both very effective in containing algae. ( not all algae but most of them ). Yamato( Amano ) shrimps are also another cheap and alternative source, definitely more hardworking than snails.
    I've not read that snails could affect water parameters, I could be wrong but I doubt it. Some catfishes do affect the PH level of waters but only mildly. Hope the info is useful.

Enjoy.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It also depends on what type of algae you are targetting. If it is the hair types, perhaps the shrimps would be a better choice. If its the spot algae, a garra would be good, according to Gratiola. Snails would be good for brown algae, encrusting green algae and perhaps slime algae...

But do remember that such snails will lay white eggs all over the tank. Some feel the eggs look ugly. And they are difficult to remove, esp on plant leaves. Most of the time, after hatching (the babies won't survive), there might be some marks left... Something you should look out for...

My 2 cents...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Those algae eating crew will "help" but not cure the root cause of things. You will have re-infection of algae if the cause is not addressed and eventually, plant health is going to suffer. Killing and removal of algae is easy but is that what you got into the hobby? Learn what the plants need to grow well and algae issues will not bug you.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    somehow i find SAE is not very effective after they have "tried" normal fish food ... they are always fighting with the other fishes whenever it's feeding time ... OTO is much better. In fact, I found golden algae eater quite good too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A big thank you for all those who have answer my question. I really appreciate all the info u guy provide me.