Country
    Singapore

Help on CO2 reactor/diffuser

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

My tank uses a internal filter. I have a CO2 setup with regulator/solenoid/bubble counter. Now I have to think of a way to get the CO2 to the tank. I understand there are external and internal reactor, diffuser, etc but not familiar with them. It seems like some need connection from canister (which not applicable to me) or some need pump to drive water in. To me I am just looking at a simple connection from the bubble counter straight to the tank. What would you recommend for such a setup?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi there, for your case, i recommend a diffuser, like a glass ceramic diffuser. Those that look like a swirling glass thingy. It can be sold at many LFS, price range from a little under 10 to about 15. A good one costs 30+. Anyway another alternative is to use a flipper, the ones that come with nutrafin co2 set. Btw, what is the dimension of your tank? above 2 ft, internal filter would not be advisable. 2 ft is ok though

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians
    a diffuser, like a glass ceramic diffuser. Those that look like a swirling glass thingy.
    Hi, I bought one of this diffuser to connect it with my diy co2, but I'm not sure how to use it correctly.

When i submerge the diffuser into the tank, is water suppposed to enter the diffuser? Will the diffuser still work if i place it upside down?
    the current situation i have now is that some water has entered my diffuser (not alot, less than half) and i dont know whether it is correct... How can i tell if co2 has entered my tank?

Thanks in advance for advice..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You should install it the right way up. I.e. with the white ceramic plate facing upwards.

There should be fine bubbles exiting the ceramic plate if your CO2 set is working correctly. You should use a pressurised cylinder system for this diffusor. The water will slowlly enter the diffusor to fill it up completely.

Another tip, put some gravel on top of the ceramic plate. This prevents algae from growing on it and clogging it.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For my case, the diffusor enclosure (where the spiral glass thingy is enclosed in) wasnt filled completely with water (partially only, less than half). Rather, the diffusor pipe leading to the enclusure area was completely filled with water amd there is a huge "air space" between the transition from pipe to enclosure area. I referring it to air space coz it is definitely not co2 from my diy source, as i submerged the diffusor before connecting it to the diy co2 and the air space was already there..

Hmm.. what are the chances that i bought a faulty diffusor?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think like what vinz said, as long as the diffuser has fine bubbles exiting the ceramic plate its ok. Even if its half filled or totally filled, there is no prob with it. And yeap i also think DIY co2 will be much trickier, hmmm best to obtain a press. co2 set.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, will keep that in mind. Thanks Vinz and Phillipians..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    iwm99,
    If you are just thinking of getting the co2 into your tank without the hassle of diffusers...just plug in an airstone into the tube coming out of the co2 tank. This is the cheapest solution...but not good in the long run. You need a proper diffuser to split the co2 into tiny bubbles so that it can dissolve better in the water.
    if you can read this, you are too close.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    iwm99,
    If you are just thinking of getting the co2 into your tank without the hassle of diffusers...just plug in an airstone into the tube coming out of the co2 tank. This is the cheapest solution...but not good in the long run. You need a proper diffuser to split the co2 into tiny bubbles so that it can dissolve better in the water.
    Feeding it into a powerhead and pointing it downwards would be a better method as long as you use a rigid bottle and do not fill the sugar/yeast mixture to the brim. You can add Tom Barr's DIY Reactor w/venturi later to the powerhead.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lwm999
    Hi,

My tank uses a internal filter. I have a CO2 setup with regulator/solenoid/bubble counter. Now I have to think of a way to get the CO2 to the tank. I understand there are external and internal reactor, diffuser, etc but not familiar with them. It seems like some need connection from canister (which not applicable to me) or some need pump to drive water in. To me I am just looking at a simple connection from the bubble counter straight to the tank. What would you recommend for such a setup?

Thanks.

IMHO, one of the simplest way is to inject co2 through diffuser.
    Straight from the bubble counter to the diffuser.
    End of story!
    But from what i understand, this method is less efficient compared to external or internal reactor!
    So in the long run, reactor would be a better option!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for the info.

I probably start with a diffuser to make thing simple. In the long run, thinking of getting a submersible powerhead to "drive" an internal reactor.

Is the capacity (litre/hr) of the powerhead for the reactor similar to the filter, or different?

Feedback Score
    i agree with evolim83..... every single bubbles, be it small or micro.. need turbulance and agitation of water in contact with bubble surface, within an enclosed container. As this will effectively dissolved the CO2 into H2O. Using a diffuser only creates bubbles raises to the water suface... and be gone...
    My suggestion of using a diffuser is to have direct water current pointing to the outlet of ceramic surface. It helps to disperse and helps to dissolved minimum of micro CO2 bubbles.
    Or place the bubble exit of diffuser underneath the inlet of a small powerhead. As the powerhead inlet will absorb (consume) every bubbles.