Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: need help on cloudy water

need help on cloudy water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have just setup a 2ft plain tank for my new luohans. overhead filter, lights and airpump. no plants, gravel. After a day, the water turns very whitish cloudy. why?
    Another question, do I need an air pump for this tank?was told by the aquarium shop owners that the outlet of the overhead filter is enough as it is creating some movement in the water. Is that true? Is the air enough for the 2 luohans? I have also change water for my the other 2 ft tank with 5 goldfishes, it also turn cloudy. Has overhead filter system, so need air pump? 2 years ago when I setup the tank for the goldfish w/o air pump but with the overhead filter system, all the fishes died within a week. When do I need an air pump?Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    likely to be bacterial blooms
    juz leave it alone for the time being, while carrying out your normal water changes
    it should go away soon, within 1~2 weeks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Overhead filter is normally sufficient for aeration... unless the bioload is extremely high.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You have a new tank that is not cycled. Your filter will only work as a mechanical filter until the bacteria starts to grow on it (those brown scum on the filter). p.s. It will not filter bacteria.

It is not true that "since I have this powerful $12 overhead filter, I can put as many fish as I want in this brand new $100 2' tank, as long as the fish have water and can swim."

I dunno what are feeding your LH, but I guess it is likely to be livefood. These will add even more load to your filter and since your tank is not cycled, the excess waste = nutrients for bacteria, therefore bacteria suddenly bloom and = cloudy. What you can do now is change water or if you are desperate enough add a chemical flocculant to precipitate the cloud. Same with your GF tank. you have too many fish in a tank (hard to believe rite?).

Maybe that's why LH are popular... they are hardy enough to withstand all the abuse we rain on them...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    using flocculants to clump the bacteria together is a stopgap measure
    you'll see the water clear up, but it's just as likely to come back
    so unless you're really finding it to be an eyesore, leave it alone