Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Dry season is the season to catch giant catfish!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Dry season is the season to catch giant catfish!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dry season is the best time to catch Ikan Tapah (Wallago leeri) in sarawak! a fisherman from northern sarawak caught a few ikan tapah at Sungai Baram. According to him, the water level of Sg. Baram during the dry season is extremely low & chances to catch Ikan tapah is higher. (below is an article from local newspaper)

Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If you can't read Chinese, let me translate the last paragraph for you : "In the past, got someone was eaten by giant catfish (Ikan Tapah) in Pontianak of Kalimantan - Sungai Kapuas!!!"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kuching
    If you can't read Chinese, let me translate the last paragraph for you : "In the past, got someone was eaten by giant catfish (Ikan Tapah) in Pontianak of Kalimantan - Sungai Kapuas!!!"
    Didn't realise that fishing in river is an offence (like in Singapore). I read it as 15 year old by charged for murder (of the catfish he is holding in his hand). The guys really looks older than 15. Must be the Sarawakian sun

Ok. Jokes aside. That is one hell of a big fish!!!!! Are you going to get one Michael?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Didn't realise that fishing in river is an offence (like in Singapore). I read it as 15 year old by charged for murder (of the catfish he is holding in his hand). The guys really looks older than 15. Must be the Sarawakian sun

Ok. Jokes aside. That is one hell of a big fish!!!!! Are you going to get one Michael?

Cheers,

I think my mom will kill me if I bring 1 big catfish home....there is no place to keep it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kuching,
    Its not dry season then easy to catch Tapah. The fish is an out and out predator, aggressive and territorial. Catching a few in a certain area usually means mating season. Our brethen over the causeway usually troll with an artificial lure, ( Think CD18-Red and White, Rapala ). Understanding the fish will greatly increase the chance of catching them. THe specimen the boy is holding is only an young adult but sadly we will be seeing less and less of those. Pollution and take all attitude have decimated them to precious few that's why they are so happy to catch a few in an particular area and sadly that's how bad the situation is now.
    Anyway if you, like me loves fishing too. Catch and release is the way to go man.

Peace
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i ever also read that in turkey or greece (no offense to nationalist) that it is a tradition to wrestle the catfish out of the mud. grown man and coming of age boys would gather by the river (or the mud) and try to bait and later grab the giant catfish out of water.

cool eh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that is one HUGE mama !