Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bolbitis heudelotii

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Will detched leaf of Bolbitis grow plantlets like Java Fern ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heard of the possibility but never seen it with my own eyes.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    leaf only?? i dont know..but if rhizhome is attached then it will grow into a plantlet

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just observed a phenomenon with my Nana leaf... It grew roots from the cut off portion. There was no visible rhizome attached to it, just the leaf and the bit of stalk.

I hope this thread is assorted discussion on Bolbitis So, how does one plant Bolbitis? Much like Java fern? I've seen pictures of it on the web and got the impression that it's a big plant. Is it true?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you need certain group of tissue to be present in the cut-stem/leave for plants to stay alive and continue growing. I don't know if this applies for bolbitis, but a cut leaves could well stay green for very long.

Mr Teo from LCK farm has once told some of us that we can actually propagate bolbitis from cut leave.

Some species of plants are able to propagate from just leaves, as the tissue is present on the leave itself. I have read about it, but can't remember where. It probably something to do with taking in water and nutrients to make food.

Under water is fine. You can actually try propagating stem plants in moist soil with 1) a cut stem, 2) the bottom cutting of the stem with the roots, or close to the roots. (2) should grow well after a while and (1) might just dry out.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lorba

Mr Teo from LCK farm has once told some of us that we can actually propagate bolbitis from cut leave.
    Did he mention just the leaf only...or with the leaf stem/stalk?
    I have a few pieces of cut leaf & stem....no roots ever sprouted...although the leaf itself can remain green for about 3 months and not dying!!.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    I just observed a phenomenon with my Nana leaf... It grew roots from the cut off portion. There was no visible rhizome attached to it, just the leaf and the bit of stalk.

I hope this thread is assorted discussion on Bolbitis So, how does one plant Bolbitis? Much like Java fern? I've seen pictures of it on the web and got the impression that it's a big plant. Is it true?
    I have not seen Anubias leaf sprouting roots but I am not surprised. I had a floating Hygophila corymbosa 'Compacta' leaf sprouting leaf a few months back.

You plant Bolbitis the same way as Java fern i.e. tie the rhizomes to wood or stone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Talking

is there a mini bolbitis? i've had some that really became mini...[shrink disappear!]

normal bolbitis are awesome in a large tank... never had uck or patience with this plant. maybe need some super power lights to speed it up.

wonder anyone has success with this plant can give me some tips to make this plant flourish?

i'm the opposite with blyxa... great with it...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My ones are still small after close to a year. I think the cause is attributable to inadequate conditions. I just retie it and give it proper space for growth, hopefully it will become better after some months.

Fyi, this is a shady plant like nana. Placing it under strong light may cause algae to grow. Juz grow it the same way you grow nanas and they should become big. Another thing to add is cool water(preferably 26C) must be maintained to ensure it grows well. I am growing mine around 28C. Maybe that is why it is not growing too well at the moment.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hi kadios,

i think we have same problem of poor growth.[taking into account this is a slow grower.

i've seen these thrive at the very top of aq using mh. so i was a bit confused when everyone say dark leaved plants don't need so much light. one thing i agree with you is temp should be around 26. doesn't like warm water for sure...

some expert say this plant is from africa and takes in light from low to bright and needs lots of co2. so that kind of explains it partially.

anyway, i now keep them in bright light to speed it's growth and notice it effervescing. other plants more so.
    apparently it doesn't even need high co2. so light is a factor.
    the algae problem will always be there for slow growers if aq is not chemically balanced... so i have some weed in there while the slow boys take shape...

300 liter 3'x2'htx2' aq.
    dkh is 3
    ph neutral.
    co2 is 1+ bubble per sec with internal reactor.
    160watts [6tubes] of various brands fl plant grow tubes[kiasu] NA, sera, arcadia, azoo, hitachi.
    12 hrs,
    temp 25-28c using fan.

flora
    red rubin, sags, lotus [tiger queen and rainbow] , java fern, narrow leaf java f, downoi, eriocaulon cinereum, hc, bolbitis, weeping moss, hottonia palustris, +weeds etc.

fauna
    10cardinals, 20+gold tetras, 4rummy nose, 1 f fox, ~10 yamato, 1d puffer, 2 banana shrimp...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    err...i have one plantlet that is about 10cm big 8mths ago... i just anyhow throw into my aquarium... few weeks back when i uprooted it... it was more than 30cm big!! i broke it off to 2 plants, each of about 15-20cm big. Both growing under high lights..

the trick to this plant is really water flow... place it where you get the most water flow and it will grow like mad.. at least mine did.. YMMV though..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well from Tropica's website:

Growth can be increased considerably by supplying CO2, and is only optimal in soft, slightly acidic water.

Is the latter true? I've heard that those supposedly soft-water-conditions-needed plants grow well in moderately hard water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    err...i have one plantlet that is about 10cm big 8mths ago... i just anyhow throw into my aquarium... few weeks back when i uprooted it... it was more than 30cm big!! i broke it off to 2 plants, each of about 15-20cm big. Both growing under high lights..

the trick to this plant is really water flow... place it where you get the most water flow and it will grow like mad.. at least mine did.. YMMV though..
    yes, i think that's is the key...water flow which is why they all recommend hi co2. because of dissipation of co2. 8 months to double under high lights... old aledi by that time. well itchy fingers here will have to divert attention while this plant takes shape. luckily this is a bg plant. so can ignore it while fine tuning the fg.

i think i've sort of got the formula... at least leaves r not turning black and melting... they actually look fresh!!! so have to be patient.

softwater seems to be a requirement and is usually mildly acidic. not a very important point[within plus minus 1 ph of 6.7] but clean water is a must as sediment build up on plant leaves retards growth.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    actually it tripled in growth...not doubled..
    Mine actually took off after i started trimming it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you lucky b!!!! very expensive exercise for me. luckily discovered AQ...otherwise will still be groping in the dark about this plant...