Country
    Singapore

Colour of Neons

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

I notice every batch of Neons that I got will change colour in my tank after a while. The reflective stripe is bright cyan/green in colour when I first got it from LFS but eventually it will turn into dull blue. Any clue what causes this ? The LFS feed them special food or what ??

I just got 6 Cardinals as well. Hope the bright cyan/green stripes will not turn into dull blue like the Neons !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, happens to all my cardinals. Starts with some greenish sheen but soon become primary blue/aquamarine. Also the red becomes very dark.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, I thought it is normal they have that green sheen? I suppose it is like when they are frighten, they turn pale. So I suppose they show that sheen when they are super happy? Or maybe it's the lights?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,

its better to stick with Cardinal. I started with Neon, but give up on them because they do not last. Those Neons died after 3 mths, my guess is they are commercially breed and certain medication is added in them. Also, these fish are easily 'hit' by neon disease(reference book).

I have more luck in Cardinal though their price is on the high side. I bought 50 from Gans sometime in 2000, it lasts till this year Feb where my 2 ft was hit by fungus...

cheers,
    Colin

Feedback Score
    Hi, may be its the lights, they prefer shades i think, saw a fish farm at seletar farm way having their breeding/holding area ...very shady.
    ,GF

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I always hear this excuse when fish die on someone, be it guppy, goldfish, now neons...

While it is true that neon are farm bred, they do not die that easily. If neons have to be raised in tanks with medication, izzn't that a bit expensive in the long run? and how can they sell them at 20cents each?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/22/2002 6:04:41 PM

Hi folks,

I notice every batch of Neons that I got will change colour in my tank after a while. The reflective stripe is bright cyan/green in colour when I first got it from LFS but eventually it will turn into dull blue. Any clue what causes this ? The LFS feed them special food or what ??

I just got 6 Cardinals as well. Hope the bright cyan/green stripes will not turn into dull blue like the Neons !
    ----------------
    Maybe they have grown up and colours change? I observed that Cardinals, though more expensive, last much much longer than Neons.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a fact that Cardinal is more hardy. It's documented in books as well. Somehow Neons is more fragile and prone to sickness. Maybe it's the result of mass production and in-breeding ie incest in human terms.

A reason I can think of for the Neons and even Cardinal green shiny stripe to turn dull and dark blue is the light. Most planted tanks are bright and as time goes by, the fish doesn't depend on the shiny stripe to communicate and stick together and this become dull. Their natural habitat is much darker and shady.