Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Baranne,
    I have a couple of tanks at home and i have discover them twice. different tanks at different time. 1 of them was hiding under a flat piece of DW. The other built a nest on the tank's glass wall using leaves and debris they could find. Thought I saw spider web too.....like Ranma said, they ambush..any small critter silly enough to go near...they strike like mantis rushing out to grab the prey.They morphed into adult form in 2-3 weeks time cause I didn't see them after that.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Joe, I have good news for you. It is not a parasite.

however I think you might like to know that it is predator.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Hi Baranne,
    I have a couple of tanks at home and i have discover them twice. different tanks at different time. 1 of them was hiding under a flat piece of DW. The other built a nest on the tank's glass wall using leaves and debris they could find. Thought I saw spider web too.....like Ranma said, they ambush..any small critter silly enough to go near...they strike like mantis rushing out to grab the prey.They morphed into adult form in 2-3 weeks time cause I didn't see them after that.
    Michael.. the ones that build "nest" homes may be a different kind of insect.. i suspect those are under the family of Trichoptera.. goggle it and see if i'm right... there are a vast majority of species under this family..but most of them build "nest" in the larval stage..
    When an adult..they looks like moths but lack the tubular mouth parts that the moth and butterflies (Lepidoptera) have and instead of scales they have hairy wings.. more commonly known as caddisflies..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Joe, I have good news for you. It is not a parasite.

however I think you might like to know that it is predator.
    Hi Choy,

I am not sure if I should take that as a good news or not...
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Hi Baranne,
    Hi Michael,

I did not see it building nests as well, so I think what you have might be different like what ranma said.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by baranne
    Hi Michael,

I did not see it building nests as well, so I think what you have might be different like what ranma said.
    If it was building a nest out of the debris on the bottom it was a caddis fly larvae, check out the picture below

http://www.fws.gov/r5crc/Salmon/work...c_creature.htm
    Fish....Not just yui shen
    A shark is just a lawyer who went to fishy school

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    it doesnt always have to be at the bottom of the tank... thre are so many species and diverse methods of building in this family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12