Country
    Singapore

How to rid green water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi PPl,

I would like some input on controling green water. I had a 2 X 2 X 2 ft tank in my balcony with slight afternoon sun on the tank, the area is very bright.

Filter is of canister type, No CO2 at the moment and about 20 fishes. Plant are Java Moss and fern (the fern is dieing off ).

Would welcome all ideas.

Pat
    Fishnatic

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Move the tank away from the sun. ...and probably your tank is too hot..(ferns dying..)
    if you can read this, you are too close.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are growing low-light and slow-growth plants, probably they are not taking in the nutrients fast enough. Coupled with the high light and low-CO2, you get green water.

Maybe slowly change water till the problem goes away. Limit/stop the use of liquid fertilisation since there's no CO2. Put in fast growing plants like Frogbits, Salvinia that floats on the surface to provide some shade. Hornwort also good to soak up excess nutrients. Shorten the lighting period since it is already supplemented by the afternoon sun.

There are many discussions on this topic if you do a search.

Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Low Tech

Hi Guys thanks for the suggestion, I actually have my 70W MH all ready to blast again but unfortunatly the tank looks out of place in the living room.

I expect to see green water but really hope can keep it under control, the sun only hit a little corner but I guess the bright daylight adds to the problem. Comtemplating a UV filter but not so sure about the effectiveness of the UV and also the rasing temp. As it is a new set up hence no liq plant food.

I got another 1" ft that got more direct hit from the sun, no filter no nothing just let it go. It looks not bad consider the condition.

Pat
    Fishnatic

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    If you are growing low-light and slow-growth plants, probably they are not taking in the nutrients fast enough. Coupled with the high light and low-CO2, you get green water.

Maybe slowly change water till the problem goes away. Limit/stop the use of liquid fertilisation since there's no CO2. Put in fast growing plants like Frogbits, Salvinia that floats on the surface to provide some shade. Hornwort also good to soak up excess nutrients. Shorten the lighting period since it is already supplemented by the afternoon sun.

There are many discussions on this topic if you do a search.

Cheers!
    Depends on the source of Nitrogen....N source from critters comes in the form of ammonia and not NO3. Dosing of KNO3 at high levels cannot induced it. Ammonia if it exceeds plant uptake rate and bacteria conversion rate coupled with good amount of light will induce green water.

UV, micro-filters and Diatom filters are great for removing it. Blackouts might help with slight ones but will not work with more serious cases.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Diatom Filter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice, I recently saw at pasir ris marine fish shop there is a transparent filter with what seem like sand in it ...is that the Diatom filter ?
    If I remember correctly it is a China brand (JiaBao) or something like that.

Pat
    Fishnatic