Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: effects of over fertilization - ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    effects of over fertilization - ?

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Just wondering what are the symptoms of over dosing of ferts. Sometimes, I am not sure if I am overdoing it.
    if you can read this, you are too close.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    3,938
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    54
    Country
    Singapore
    Algae -- probably several kinds.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,474
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    Algae -- probably several kinds.
    sounds like a cocktail?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

    I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore; Bishan
    Posts
    3,177
    Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I think overdose has no issue if very high lighting and adequate CO2 is in order.

    Personally, I have never attempt to do that other than mega-dose the day before water change. It does not create problem.

    Probably Tom can comment. There was an article written by him. Please be reminded that his method is always inviting plants to a "buffet"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    197
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally see algae...means light too much, or not enough CO2...so, how to tell if got algae means too much light or too little CO2 or just too much ferts...*so complicated *

    So, if I put alot of ferts into a low maint tank...will break out in algae? ...I think not true...algae must have light, right? (though maybe the fishes will die)
    if you can read this, you are too close.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,088
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore
    Its not the issue of the inorganic nutrients that we add (excess is fine..too little is bad). CO2 if you use it will be the biggest issue.

    Regards
    Peter Gwee

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore; Bishan
    Posts
    3,177
    Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    Normally see algae...means light too much, or not enough CO2...so, how to tell if got algae means too much light or too little CO2 or just too much ferts...*so complicated *

    So, if I put alot of ferts into a low maint tank...will break out in algae? ...I think not true...algae must have light, right? (though maybe the fishes will die)
    Its not about too much light. It is because you have added more lights than you can control or manipulate. When you have high light it means the rest of the factors must be increased. In another words, you have inbalanced the sytem by adding more light. Hence, you need to set it equilibrium again.

    Too little CO2 - well, high tech tank is all about CO2, alot of topics have been talk about..

    Too much fert - alot of factors, actually. Too little/less plants & too little lights. This could result in excess due to insufficient consumption by plants. Well, the system is inbalanced again

    Algae - according to some write ups by Tom. There are algae that grow in very deep water in caves that light couldn't penetrate, yet they stay there.

    However, let stick to low maint tank..

    Low maint tank will start to have problem when you start getting impatience and try to speed things up. I know because I made this mistake...

    Low maint tank is another WAY of keeping plants but it goes a long way in terms of enjoyment and burn out...

    Don't fix it if it ain't broken

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    7
    Country
    United_States
    I have no clue how much PO4 is too much.
    Folks add 2-4ppm regularly now and have zero algae.

    NO3, well, I went above 100ppm and finally got some Amano shrimp to die.
    No fish lossess at all over the 3 day exposure.

    K+, no clue, but well over 100ppm.

    Fe, over 200mls of SeaChem Flourish in a 35 gal tank for a week.

    GH, no known maximum.
    KH same as GH.

    NH4 and CO2 are the two most toxic things for tanks............

    They have maximum levels in practical terms, the other nutrients really don't.

    Thus the exploration I have done over the years to find the maximum tioll it becomes no longer useful.

    This has promoted the end of glass algae by dosing high amounts of PO4, excellent growth, a myramid of CO2 solutions, etc.

    If one focused merely on limitations alone without exploring the other side, the maximum values..............that would be bad chi.

    I think it is very disturbing to see folks that have claimed research yet obviously never did the controlled experiments with these nutrtients with planted tanks.

    If they did, they would have found the same things I have.

    The question is, why did they not find these same conclusions if they did what they claimed and were not merely just speculating?

    Anyone can repeat the test and find the same conclusion/s.

    Regards,
    Tom Barr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •