Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps and vegetation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys, since shrimps need almost pristine water to live in, how do u guys balance the plants' need and the shrimps as well?

In other words, if we introduce fert and trace, it'll affect the shrimps. If we don't, the plants get affected. And I've read that shrimps need good amount of oxygen. If that's the case, would'nt putting an airstone in the tank depletes the CO2 needed for plants in a non CO2 tank?

These are just queries before I start on a shrimp tank. I hope experienced contributors here could help me shed some light on this. Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's the point. You'll find that most planted tanks with shrimps almost always have priorities on the shrimp.

Trace and ferts shouldn't affect shrimp that much. I'm not sure about shrimps needing a good amount of oxygen, but yes, putting an airstone is detrimental.

For my old cherry shrimp tank, I DIYed CO2 and added quite a bit of fertilisation since it was a high maintainence tank. Cherries still reproducing. If you're going into more expensive stuff like CRS though, I reccomend you do away with planted tanks altogether and focus purely on shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey Terence, thanks for that swift reply... would keep pointers in mind

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i actually just dose... if they survive they survive.. if they die.. too bad..lol.. quite bad la.. but thats how i do it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If the plants grow well, the water will become cleaner and has better condition.

Generally shrimps hate those things that plants love- ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. So healthy plants not only saturate the water with oxygen but they reduce those chemicals; this will keep the water even cleaner for the shrimps.

Not to mention all those microscopics food that grows on the plants like mosses which will serve as supplements for your shrimps

Personally I have always seen more beautiful shrimps with a planted tank rather than a bare unplanted tank.

So imho, I will say: go make your plants grow better for to provide a better living condition for your shrimps