Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yippee...a tank for a dart frog !

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Yippee...a tank for a dart frog !

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been playing with the idea of getting some poison dart frogs....there is a store which specializes in these little beauties that is only an hour away from me.

I picked up a 20 long tank today for only 5$....and I already have a twin flourescent strip light to go with it, just need to get a glass top and the clay balls and cocoa bedding and set it all up....and then find a place in my house to keep it ! LOL ! Oh, plants too....

The store is having a big storewide sale next Sat...and I'll be there when they open the doors !

I have been running ideas through my head about how to make a little waterfall/river run through this without it causing problems with too much moisture and mold and stuff starting to grow....or it being too deep that the frogs drown in it....I have some ideas going...hhmm..we'll see...I may just decide to keep it simple and forego that option..

Anway, this is going to be fun ! I plan on putting up a divider in the center of the tank so that I can have two different types of frogs. I'm looking to get the tinctorius "citronella" and a tinctorius "Patricia" OR tinctorius "Oelemari".

SOme pics....

Citronella..

Patricia..

Oelemari

OH....I should definitely mention that these pics are from BlackJungle's website which is located here..... http://www.blackjungle.com/home.htm

Last edited by Emg; 24th Aug 2005 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was going through the pictures and slowing conjuring my own plans..till I saw the image of your country's flag. Singapore does not bring in these pets. Let us know of more updates!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    That's probably because if they got loose they would thrive in Singapore and that wouldn't be good for the local fauna.

Where I live we get a very cold winter....so if any were to get loose, they wouldnt' survive.

I sure will post pics when I start setting up this tank...and especially when I get the froglets !

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Which would you go for .....the Oelemari...or the Patricia ??

I'm having a hard time deciding...lol...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Definately Oelemari

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    yeah, I think I'm starting to lean more towards the Oelemari......maybe I'll just get 3....lol....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Emg
    That's probably because if they got loose they would thrive in Singapore and that wouldn't be good for the local fauna.

Where I live we get a very cold winter....so if any were to get loose, they wouldnt' survive.

I sure will post pics when I start setting up this tank...and especially when I get the froglets !

not so much about the escaping, after all we import all kinds of everything already. aren't these frogs protected or appear on CITES II?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    not so much about the escaping, after all we import all kinds of everything already. aren't these frogs protected or appear on CITES II?
    They are endangered species, aren't they?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun think darts are on Cites at all... correct me if I'm wrong...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It could be that the shop got it from a local breeder. Neat way to earn some dough and lessen the impact from nature.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    These frogs are captively bred. They are not taken from the wild. The folks at this place raise them right on the premises. I'm not sure how endangered they are, but I believe if something is endangered...having folks breeding and raising them in captivity is a good thing...rather than taking them from their native home....and also, if they do disappear from the wild for whatever reason..they can be reintroduced from captive stock.

In fact, I'm not sure...but I believe one of the owners told me they can't bring any back from thier trips to South America (they go frequently). It isn't allowed to remove native fauna from the countries down there. They go because they LOVE rainsforests and the plants and animals that live there. They get new ideas for new displays and also get a chance to view new plants. They specialize in tropical and exotic plants as well.

Thier store is an amazing assortment of pd frogs and plants and just about anything you need to start a vivarium. They propegate the plants in a greenhouse which is offsite...so they aren't taking any of those from the wild either.

Just some info for those who may be concerned....I won't be depleting the rainforest by purchasing a few of these little beauties.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes EMG I totally agree with ya, I've some frends who studied in USA and goes on this kinda Eco trips to South America where darts/mantellas are commonly found in the wild and yes u cannot retreive any flora/fauna from the wild, its considered poaching and very serious...

I know darts/mantellas are very successfully being captive bred in many parts of the world... in USA, Europe esp Holland, Belgium, Germany, UK and in Asia, Japan, Taiwan and even Thailand, even here in our Sunny Islands I know of some whom have successfully bred them before... its not very difficult...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Yep...that is what this fella who breeds them here said...not difficult to breed them at all. Just provide the right habitat and they take care of the rest themselves...lol...

I would like to get a pair...but at the age they sell them you can't tell the difference between the sexes until they grow...the odds of getting a pair when you just buy two aren't the greatest. They're kind of expensive and I'd like a couple of different varieties...so I'll settle for one each of the two, maybe three I choose.

This place does online sales...........

http://www.blackjungle.com/home.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah yes blackjungle I've heard of them... good shop and web site... u can try Kingsnake's classifieds too as they've many shops n pte individuals who breed amphibians...

My fav r still mantellas, they're just as beautiful as darts and much cheaper

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Dk...I've been to their store up in Greenfield Mass.....awsome displays and fantastic variety of species...both pd frogs and tropical plants ! These folks really know what they're doing !
    Last edited by Emg; 22nd Aug 2005 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Emg
    Dk...I've been to their store up in Greenfield Mass.....awsome displays and fantastic variety of species...both pd frogs and tropical plants ! These folks really know what thier doing !
    I envy you being to keep these critters. Read up as much as you can I heard these are fragile creatures and remember to post your set-up so that we can just drool over here!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Most definitly Miao......one of the best things about this hobby is sharing with others who have similar interests....these forums are GREAT !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HI Emg,

where about in the US is this shop located ???
    u are making drool with all these colourful fellas !!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It's in Greenfield, Mass. Very cool shop !! They have a zillion viveriums setup with many different species..(the ones in the show tanks are thier breeders and aren't for sale)....tons of supplies...driftwood, plants (they specialize in tropical plants as well)....I can't wait to get there this Sat. They are having a storewide sale ! I'm going to pick up at least 1 or 2 froglets if they have any left of the ones I'm looking for.

I'll have to take a pic of my daughter's viverium we've set up in her room, it's a 20 tall. The plants need to grow in more and she needs a background, but I think she did a nice job on her design...a couple of really nice pieces of driftwood. It's hard waiting for the mosses to fill in ..lol.. that could take a long time !

I think they have a virtual tour of the store on thier website...here's the home address....
    http://www.blackjungle.com/home.htm

Here's the link for the pics of the store...they must have taken these when they first got going, because they don't have any empty spaces on any of those racks now..and there is'nt much walking around room left either ! .....
    http://www.blackjungle.com/store.htm

They were recently advertising for help in thier store....MAN ! If I were just a bit closer !! Takes me an hour to get there...too darn far !

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Here are some pictures of my daughter's 20 tall tank...she has it in her room. Hopefully it will have a frog or two in it by this weekend...the plants need to grow out quite a bit more....and it definitely needs a background...but it's a good start !

I tried to get a picture through this log...there is an opening on the other side, but it doesn't show in this pic....

This picture is taken looking down into the tank from the top....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast