Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Who uses direct sunlight for planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Who uses direct sunlight for planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am thinking of setting up a planted tank but my PL lightning can only supply me with 0.9W per gallon which is too low for plants. I do not want to add more lightning as it would be an increase in my electric bills. So I'am thinking of directing sunlight into the tank. It would be a free source of energy for the plants! But the problem is how to direct? Using mirrors????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How to use mirrors if the direction of sunlight is always changing?
    Either put the tank under the sun or invest in more lighting for plants to thrive. Unless you find a way of using solar panels?

To reduce cost in the electricity, try using lights with electronic ballasts.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Julescity, your question was split to a new thread here.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingChicken
    I am thinking of setting up a planted tank but my PL lightning can only supply me with 0.9W per gallon which is too low for plants. I do not want to add more lightning as it would be an increase in my electric bills. So I'am thinking of directing sunlight into the tank. It would be a free source of energy for the plants! But the problem is how to direct? Using mirrors????
    Build a skylight? Move the tank to an area with 6 to 8 hrs direct sun per day?

Is this for the 4ft tank? If it is, you might only need 2WPG which is only twice your current lighting. How many watts are you running? Check this thread for calculating your electrical usage.

I've been reading up on T5s, and it's said that with good reflectors, watt for watt, T5s put a lot more light into a tank then PLs. If you switch to T5s, you might get away with 1.5WPG. This is theory on my part for now as I have not tried it out yet.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO..tooo risky and dangerous to try, I remember as a kid using mirrors (like magnifying glass) to set paper on fire with the changing angles of the sun through the day what if the rays falls on something combustible..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    using a mirror to direct sunlight will not cause a fire to start. a mirror does not have the light concentration feature which a lens has.

mirror is not a practical solution as the sun angle is constantly changing. unless you have a setup where the mirror will move relative to the sun position to keep sunlight on the tank.

how about placing your tank next to a window which has some direct sunlight?
    anyway, electrical bills for planted tank light is not very much. how big is your tank?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy
    using a mirror to direct sunlight will not cause a fire to start. a mirror does not have the light concentration feature which a lens has.

mirror is not a practical solution as the sun angle is constantly changing. unless you have a setup where the mirror will move relative to the sun position to keep sunlight on the tank.

how about placing your tank next to a window which has some direct sunlight?
    anyway, electrical bills for planted tank light is not very much. how big is your tank?
    Well, my tank is 4x2x2ft with 2x55W Magnum II lightning...that works out to be a pathatic 110W / 114Gal = ~0.9W/Gal

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    maybe you can try the tank in the sun but with one of those blackmeshes they use at plant farms.. that should cut down the amount of light reaching inside the tank.. most of the time i find that with such strong light..you either have to dose alot or you get a lot of unwanted growth..which means algae..
    plus the temperature would get REALLY hot!! and your equipment are exposed to the elements..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Well, my tank is 4x2x2ft with 2x55W Magnum II lightning...that works out to be a pathatic 110W / 114Gal = ~0.9W/Gal
    your electricity consumption is about 1.1kwh a day, assuming a photoperiod of 10hrs. that costs less than $0.20 a day.
    it's worth to spend a little for the beauty of a planted tank.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    We would have too little control with sunlight. I guess if you are expert enough, you can do it.

Even with light we can easily control we get algae. Personally, i think, by using sunlight we would just be getting even more algae.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO I think temperature will be a main concern with direct sunlight. Wouldnt be surprise if the water temp hits more than 32..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by congshao88
    IMO I think temperature will be a main concern with direct sunlight. Wouldnt be surprise if the water temp hits more than 32..
    That's a thought.

There's one APC guy who posted up a picture of his outdoors tank with stemmed plants, receving quite a bit of sunlight but water was clear and no visible algae and everything. Shows it can be done. I think you just need to have good knowledge of what goes on behind the planted tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    IMHO, direct sunlight may make things more difficult to control. But, it can be done, check out my pond http://photobucket.com/albums/v605/BPT/Pond/ to see it.
    I think the heavy mass of the plant keeps the balance. I use no CO2 and fertilizer at all. Water keeps circulating through the filtration system with a 24/7 pump .
    Budi
    My Photo Gallery :redbounce