Images
    Country
    Singapore

"Poaching" spots.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Where do you guys collect your fish/plants?
    Recently ORDed and I'm thinking of re-doing my VERY neglected tank. And when I say poach I simply mean collect/gather/catch. If you guys know of places where I can legally net some fish, all the better.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What type of fish/plant are you looking for that are not found in fish/plant farms or LFS?

Maybe the "legal" places to net fishes are the "longkangs"? But you only find wild guppies there, I suppose. And not sure if they come with parasites.

For plants, maybe you can try asking for some cuttings FOC when members do their trimmings. I am sure there are lots.

Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes if you are lucky, you might bring home some hitchhiker like leach, dragonfly nymph or any other aquatic insect. These may get stuck in your netting or your shoes. Or if it is really your day, you just might get bitten by mosquito and contracted the denggi fever.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In short, it's probably best to visit a farm and get all the plants you want. ( maybe more than you want too)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Essentially local fish/plants really. wood shrimp, spanner barbs, 6 banded tiger barbs, any kind of shrimp really, betta pugnax(sp?)
    That and I'd like to do a little photography, just so I can accurately re-create the environment. And because I find it hard to believe we still have wild places that aren't, either completely urbanized, or overrun with guppies and tilapia. That and I'm wondering if I can get hold of a dwarf walking catfish.

[Edit]
    That and I seem to have some sorta mosquito resistance. Heh, my camp mates used to get jealous during exercises

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it's better to buy the same species from stock in LFS imported from the region. Local populations of many native fishes/plants, especially blackwater/rainforest species (even if one fishes in areas outside NParks' purview) are already very low.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most of the fishes you mentioned are unlikely to be found outside the forest and reserves. however you might consider creating a Singapore feral biotope, and fill them with feral populations of Danio albolineatus, Poecilia reticulata, Rasbora borapetensis, and even Aplocheilus lineatus!

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Feral biotype? how's that work?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd
    Feral biotype? how's that work?
    a tank simulating a local aquatic environment, but with ONLY feral fishes.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    yes..yes..yes.. can put lots of peacock bass in there..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, some unwanted LH might be good too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I got a feral biotope tank at home. Its a 2 footer with stuff inside totally sourced locally. I'm not too much of a stickler for the truth, so I went with whatever I could find. It was an adventure certainly. Have Betta pugnax, local guppies, local catfishes, local shrimps, locally sourced crypts and plants in it. Its not an exact replica of what I see in streams though but it'll do for me. So, within whatever means (but don't push it) you can explore and have a piece of our own backyard in your tank. From this little adventure, I've learnt that we've got more in Singapore than what I've ever imagined. Maybe I haven't seen much, but I'm satisfied. Look into what we have and you'll appreciate what's available in LFSes a lot more. Don't poach (I get the feeling of doing something detrimental for a profit from this word), source whatever you can find within your means without spoiling the habitat of our local flora and fauna. Then share.
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes and when you find something interesting pass to me for taking pix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heh, we could compare photos =)