Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What do you feed a puffer when no more snails in your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What do you feed a puffer when no more snails in your tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,
    Thanks in advance for any input to the above. Recently introduced two fig.8 puffer fish to my 31/2 feet tank to get rid of snails. And they did a pretty marvellous job. Now no more snails. Problem is, I am afraid they might attack some other fishes like my cardinals, rasbora or danios now that their staple diet is gone.
    Is there any substitute for puffer's diet? Maybe life brine shrimp or daphnias. Appreciate all the inputs.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've heard of people feeding them bloodworms and stuff. And also cases of the puffers adapting to the normal food you feed to your fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I took out my puffer the moment the snails in my tank were gone cos' I saw my fishes tails getting nipped. Trade them in with your LFS for something else. They are nice litle fellas, but are damaging to your other fishes, unless you wanna keep them sepreately and feed them stuff like bloodworms or tubifex....
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Puffers

Hi
    I keep 2 dwarf puffers and they do take Frozen Blood Worm and Tetra Bits. In my 2ft planted, they are the only fishes and 1 lone Yamato.

If you are just keeping Cardinals, Danios and Rasboras, you might not have a problem as these are fast swimming fishes. But this also means that these fishes will consume the food before any left for the puffers. Unless you have ways to ensure the puffers get the fish food, you might want to consider selling the your puffers away.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizan
    Hi All,
    Thanks in advance for any input to the above. Recently introduced two fig.8 puffer fish to my 31/2 feet tank to get rid of snails. And they did a pretty marvellous job. Now no more snails. Problem is, I am afraid they might attack some other fishes like my cardinals, rasbora or danios now that their staple diet is gone.
    Is there any substitute for puffer's diet? Maybe life brine shrimp or daphnias. Appreciate all the inputs.
    Thanks.
    Puffer's main diet are live food like blood worms. Brine shrimps should be fine. In some rare cases, they will feed on frozen worms. They will almost never eat pellets or flakes.

I hope that you have done some study on them before you buy them. It is lucky that you've got the figure-8 puffer. It is one of the less agressive species. Do note that they grow up to 8cm in length.

Check this site out for more information:
    http://puffernet.tripod.com/main.html

BC