Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Glosso dont grow horizontally across the tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

I got some glosso planted as my foreground plant. My substrate is Seachem Onyx sand with Oceanfree pellet like fertiliser (similar to Oceanfree root monster) as base.

My pellet fertiliser is spread evenly at the bottom of my tank before i top it up with around 5-7cm of Onyx sand.

The glosso seem to be doing fine except it's growing vertically upward instead of forming a carpet which i wanted.

Mine is a NANO tank of about 6 gallon with 28W/8k of lighting. The light is on for 7hrs everyday.

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How did you plant them? Did you cut them into individual plantlets before pushing them into the gravel?

If you did the above, all you need to do now is to "train" the glosso to grow horizontally. Keep trimming the leaves that are growing upwards, and replant these. Soon they'll start growing horizontally.

Good light is also a factor. Make sure your tank looks bright enough so that there are no dark spots in your tank, and there are no plants on top of the glosso.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    How did you plant them? Did you cut them into individual plantlets before pushing them into the gravel?

If you did the above, all you need to do now is to "train" the glosso to grow horizontally. Keep trimming the leaves that are growing upwards, and replant these. Soon they'll start growing horizontally.

Good light is also a factor. Make sure your tank looks bright enough so that there are no dark spots in your tank, and there are no plants on top of the glosso.
    Hi,

How to trim the leaves, just cut them off? I though it's the stems that are growing taller & the leaves just spread out only? Replant the leaves? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The glosso in my 3"x1.5"x1.5" tank will only keep low to the gravel if the lighting is less than 4 months old. I have 144w/50gall or almost 3 watts per gallon. Not as much watts/gallon as what you have but, still the light intensity of the PL/FL tubes (I assume) decrease with use. So, you may want to consider the age of the tubes as well.

Once the light part is taken care of, you might want to start trimming off the vertical glosso plants at the stem. The glosso plants will compete amongst themselves for light, so, trim all plants till they are at the same height.

The first stalk of glosso you planted is probably vertical. That is okay in the begining, however, as soon as the new rhizomes (I think they are called rhizomes) start growing from the (root) end of your vertical plant, trim off the vertical plant, and let the horizontal rhizomes continue crawling.

I am humbled by the number of experts in this forum. This is just from my superficial knowledge about glosso, but anyway, hope this helped.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeap cut off the stems and replant these stems if they have roots and leaves attached to it (might as well save them). Sooner or later they'll grow horizontally. You can search the forum for "glosso training" or something like that as well.

My personal experience with glosso growing upwards? Not enough light.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MosFat
    The glosso in my 3"x1.5"x1.5" tank will only keep low to the gravel if the lighting is less than 4 months old. I have 144w/50gall or almost 3 watts per gallon. Not as much watts/gallon as what you have but, still the light intensity of the PL/FL tubes (I assume) decrease with use. So, you may want to consider the age of the tubes as well.

Once the light part is taken care of, you might want to start trimming off the vertical glosso plants at the stem. The glosso plants will compete amongst themselves for light, so, trim all plants till they are at the same height.

The first stalk of glosso you planted is probably vertical. That is okay in the begining, however, as soon as the new rhizomes (I think they are called rhizomes) start growing from the (root) end of your vertical plant, trim off the vertical plant, and let the horizontal rhizomes continue crawling.

I am humbled by the number of experts in this forum. This is just from my superficial knowledge about glosso, but anyway, hope this helped.
    Hi,

Wouldn't cutting the stem kills the plant, or only the stem with the root intact will survive? Meaning i need to replant them in order to "spread" them? Then, if i trimmed off the vertical stem, would the glosso looks bare, since only the horiz ones will be present?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for the quick response and help given. Will try all recommendation and see how. Will do some maintanence on the trimming and be patient and see how it goes.

MosFat,
    My tube is less than 1 month old in fact. So i guess that's should be alright.

Plumboy21,
    The glosso stem can grow upwards or some will grow new leaves on the stems and upward. What they meant is that if you see new leaves on the stem we can cut them and plant it again.

Squee did provide a good link before at
    Guide to Glossostigma elatinoides

with illustration. You will get a better idea of this.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The portion of the stem with leaves and roots will survive. Planting back the stuff you cut "saves" your glosso instead of just throwing it away. It will look bare, but trust me once your glosso starts spreading, you will want it to look bare

Follow this link for more good info.

One quote from the above website:

Glossostigma can also be "trained" to crawl. When Glossostigma starts to put out a second stem above the first 2 leaves. Trim it near the top of the bottom leaves so you get a plantlet. Replant this plantlet into the substrate and it will root. Another situation is that the stem of Glossostigma starts to grow taller with longer leaf stalks. In this case, plunge the stem further into the substrate with tweezers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Ic... Ok, Thanks bros.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a good link, thanks Squee.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, is it possible for glosso to thrive even if no base fert is used? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I went to Keong Seong today, and the glosso in their display tank near the door had red leaves! The substrate must be really rich.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My training method was to place some of them floating on the surface under intense lighting. Once they start to crawl, I will place them back into the substrate and they will start to crawl. Try it on some spare glosso and see if it works for you.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is possible for glosso to thrive without base fert imho. Just provide lots of liquid fert. Red leaves? The lighting must be really really high

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My glosso start to crawl since the 1st day till now.. so depth until some turn yellow.. My tank spec. 31x31x31 cm (29l) using 2 x 11w by NA. 8-9hr per day. 2bps CO2. Fert. I am using only Freka Balance-K and Aquatilizer. with ADA soil n powersand special. Free come to my office to see.. my office in Sim Lim Sq.

Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    Hello,

I got some glosso planted as my foreground plant. My substrate is Seachem Onyx sand with Oceanfree pellet like fertiliser (similar to Oceanfree root monster) as base.

My pellet fertiliser is spread evenly at the bottom of my tank before i top it up with around 5-7cm of Onyx sand.

The glosso seem to be doing fine except it's growing vertically upward instead of forming a carpet which i wanted.

Mine is a NANO tank of about 6 gallon with 28W/8k of lighting. The light is on for 7hrs everyday.

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by meowvin
    My glosso start to crawl since the 1st day till now.. so depth until some turn yellow.. My tank spec. 31x31x31 cm (29l) using 2 x 11w by NA. 8-9hr per day. 2bps CO2. Fert. I am using only Freka Balance-K and Aquatilizer. with ADA soil n powersand special. Free come to my office to see.. my office in Sim Lim Sq.
    Thanks for the offer It helps that i'm staying near Sim Lim. Can sms or give me a call 9273 0873 ? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    Thanks for the offer It helps that i'm staying near Sim Lim. Can sms or give me a call 9273 0873 ? Thanks.
    Hey .. i am interested in going too ... wat abt one of these lunch days? SMS me ... 97970422.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Squee did provide a good link before at
    Guide to Glossostigma elatinoides

Why can't I open the link above ?

Guys,
    When you mean "training" glosso, do you just cut the upper leaves, or have to wait until they tall enough so you can cut it as a new plantlet & replant it...?
    Which way is more efficient?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The author's website is frequently down =/

your light no enough
    add more lah~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast