Images
    Country
    Singapore

New tank 4x2x2 recommend subtrate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Intend to set up a new tank but i am not sure of what subtrates to use.

Presently using Lapis sand with base fert but found that after awhile the 3 side glasses panel sand turn black. had not try ADA soil before ..... able to share on the 2 diff subtrates setting up.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Read this link on anaerobic substrates, which I think is what you have. A lack of plant growth in the affected areas (roots) causes this.

ADA Aquasoil is well... you could say it's better than Lapis sand, because it has nutrients in it, as well as somehow allow plants to root faster and thus grow better. However rescaping is a big pain in the *** with Aquasoil (minute dust particles get kicked up), and it renders the pH/kH scale for measuring CO2 levels useless.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you do not have to worry that far, replacing it is probably 2 - 3 years down the road. By then, you would probably tear it down regardless of sand or mud in it.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mecedesfish
    Intend to set up a new tank but i am not sure of what subtrates to use.

Presently using Lapis sand with base fert but found that after awhile the 3 side glasses panel sand turn black. had not try ADA soil before ..... able to share on the 2 diff subtrates setting up.

Cheers
    How are your plants doing? I guess you do not have a lot of plants. The substrate turning black is not that bad. Just plant heavily, the roots of the plants will help aerate the substrate.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    glosso as a foreground was growing well with my old tank but due to this experience, that is why it worry me.

I intented to try out on the new tank with Jave moss/taiwan moss on the back ground and center DW also with moss. Maybe foreground glosso.

with abt 7 altum and 50 big cardinal.