Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    does anyone here have a link to pics of local tadpole species so i can identify them? i can't seem to find the little guide book anymore.

can anyone tell me and the rest here why red eared sliders are legal as pets but not other reptiles? i really dont understand the logic behind this. it seems like ava is biting its own reptilian tail and pretending that theres nothing wrong with a nipped tip.

how very very contradictory, dear ava. the double standard is not even intelligent.

ooh look, bullfrog. scary.
    i know, lets eat it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aiyoh... dun tempt them to come after us ah...

They are trying to make up lah... Heard they are trying to ban the sale of sliders liao... They are also trying to educate the pet owners not to release their pets into the wild, be it reptiles, fish or mammals...

Eh, this thread is getting out of topic lah...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah haha didnt realise sorry! soooo anyway, meanwhile

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Yeah, so, back to the topic.

Is anyone keeping any frogs? Are those frogs available mainly reed frogs and bull frogs for feeders? Maybe someone can rear a few tadpoles from the wild and see what develops.

Also, the main thing to tackle is what to feed them. Think they feed them fruitflies for those keeping poison darts. Maybe can culture some by leaving a banana or something rotting in the kitchen! Any helpful suggestions?

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I currently have 1 reed frog rescued from the feeders in my temporary paludarium with 4 CFB newts... It ate 1 companion while 2 others died... 1 apparently from starvation...

What to feed them? Well... At the size when they are rescued from the feeders, they can and should be fed with fruit flies and tubifex worms... Fruit flies are nasty, thoug... Unless you can guarantee you can keep them within the tank... I used to have fruit flies in a vivarium and the frogs had a good time helping me clear those nasties...

Think Wild Ginger used to advise to sprinkle some calcium powder on the tubifex worms for supplementation... I didn't... cos too lazy to find the powder...

When they are older, they will prefer to feed on meal worms, flies and crickets... 1 thing to note, reeds feed on land... So, use a small tray/holder for the tubifex worms... Dunno about the other frogs, though...

Think there is another type of frog being used for feeders besides bulls and reeds... They are smaller... but dunno what they are cos my reed ate it before it had a chance to grow...

You will need to spend time looking over the bags of feeder frogs to find these non-bulls and rescue them...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can't you just grind up calcium tablets? And be careful, calcium overdose leads to gall stones. Not sure if amphibians get it but... yeah.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Too lazy... And calcium tablets very expensive...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Buy from me lah... Check the non-aqua marketplace section

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You shouldn't actually dust the tubifex worm. It dissolves in the water since the worms are moist. Dust those moulting baby mealworms and feed them direct to the small frogs. Works wonders. Young baby pinheads (crickets) also work just as well.

Calcium tabs may be expensive but they're worth their weight in gold when you're keeping amphibians. Besides, you only need to dust a little every time you feed live food to the critters.

Culturing fruit flies is easy but getting a culture locally can be difficult since you'll probably need to import them in yourself from overseas. You can try trapping local flies in a rudimentary fly trap with a small piece of banana. It attracts these flies very easily.

I had a culture once a long time ago but it crashed due to my neglect. Unfortunately I never could get another culture after that.

floatbloat, you can get the Guidebook on Amphibians and Reptiles of Singapore at the chain bookstores like Kinokuniya etc. It is still in publication by the Science Centre.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    wow i didnt know they are still in publication..thanks a lot!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But where to buy pin head crickets or very small meal worms?? I want to try a few smaller reeds again and it is a chore to buy tubifex every day!... Oh yes, small reeds need to be fed daily... When they reach adult size, you can feed every alternate day... Mine takes 3 meal worms every 2 days now... Maybe it needs more but hey, it can't talk to tell me...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try to go to JB, Giant Hypermarket in Plentong. There's an aquarium in fact the only aquarium there. They sell lotsa oddballs from time to time. Oops, but u have to find a way to bring it in
    Lophiosilurus alexandri (pacman catfish)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how about these fellas ?

or

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they look like bull frog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The first one looked familiar...

The second one is definitely a bull... Cute but BIG... And destroys anything in its path...

Come help me take pic of my frog leh...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Come help me take pic of my frog leh...
    it will be my honour and pleasure !

what do u have ? got colourful ones or not ? poison arrow ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    posted these 2 pixs before lah.
    at least that is what i have for the moment.

anyone got others, will most glady take their pics but pls dont blame me if they don't turn out to be good.
    on that note, i will of course try my very best.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha... No wonder I find the first pic VERY familiar...

Mervin, my frog is a kind a reed, no idea the ID leh... Not colourful but nice patterning... It gets startled easily and I am afraid of taking it out for a shoot... If you are free and interested after CNY, you are most most most welcomed if you want a try at shooting a reed.

Oh, it is a one-eyed frog... Challenging subject?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz

Mervin, my frog is a kind a reed, no idea the ID leh... Not colourful but nice patterning... It gets startled easily and I am afraid of taking it out for a shoot... If you are free and interested after CNY, you are most most most welcomed if you want a try at shooting a reed.

Oh, it is a one-eyed frog... Challenging subject?

how big is that fella ?

u want close-up or with its enviroment ?
    with enviroment, then must do a swee swee set-up.

anyway whats a reed ?
    why one eye ? kina poked ah ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not big... Say, about 2" in length... I never really measured that fella as I didn't pick it up... Don't dare to as it is rather skittish...

Actually I think it is rather common as I rescued it from a bag of feeder frogs... Think occurance in feeders would be about 10%...

Think it is naturally one-eyed... I never discovered it till about 1 month later... And from the skin, it looks like a natural missing eye, rather than resulting from an accident...

A couple of pics I took last year...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast