Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EF 50mm f/1.8 can do good tank shots?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

EF 50mm f/1.8 can do good tank shots?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Maybe I should post this on clubsnap or something but I reckon you guys have more experience in this area.

To take good full tank shot, how's a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens? Since I can cover the distance by moving around.

Does that f/1.8 make it sharper and brighter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a tank shot is not that demanding, as long as you don't expect the fishes to be tack sharp. put it on a tripod and you should do fine with "relatively slow" shutter speeds e.g. 1/25-1/50

if your metering is working properly, an f/1.8 should NOT be brighter than an f/3 I guess
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Won't f/1.8 at 50mm be brighter than f/5.6 at 50mm? More light in means I can have a faster shutter speed hence the fish looks sharp?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes yes your f/1.8 is a faster lens so you can have faster shutter speed. but with a full tank shot, like I say, tack sharp fishes are not really that important, is it?

oh btw most of my pix are taken at 1/60 at macro working distances, so I doubt you will have much issue at 1/25-1/50 at full-tank distance.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a good lens to use for tank shots.

Keep your shutter speed above 1/60 so that the fishes are not too blur. Make sure the camera is mounted on a tripod. Block out all stray and ambient light.

Use centre weighted metering if unsure. If pictures looks over exposed, set exposure compensation on camera to -2 and use photo editing software to rescue the shadows.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    benny, I can shoot hand-held and hand-focus at 1/60 should be no problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But if really shoot at f1.8 will mean the depth-of-field is very shallow. So not everything will be of the same sharpness ... right?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The main reason for me is Affordability Besides, how many L lens can give f1.8? My working distance from the tank would be 1-2m, so even at f1.8, I won't get a bokeh effect on a full tank, right? I won't want a bokeh effect on a full tank shot Everything, including the fish, needs to be crisp sharp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    But if really shoot at f1.8 will mean the depth-of-field is very shallow. So not everything will be of the same sharpness ... right?
    Yup, I need experts' point of view on this. But at 50mm, if let's say u work at 0.5m away from your subject, maybe got bokeh. For 2m or more, I'm not sure cuz I haven't got the chance to experiment with lenses.

But even if I do buy, it's ok. One of the cheapest lens around for this kinda wide aperture

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KF is right, at f1.8 DOF will be too shallow and u wouldnt capture the entire tank, front to back in focus. move back and use a tripod, set to a smaller aperature. I find 50mm not really ideal for capturing the entiring tank. i prefer my kit len 18-55mm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you got the room, you can shoot with 50mm or 100mm, the aperture isn't important (as in you shoot at f/8 - f/11) for depth of field.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    KF is right, at f1.8 DOF will be too shallow and u wouldnt capture the entire tank, front to back in focus. move back and use a tripod, set to a smaller aperature. I find 50mm not really ideal for capturing the entiring tank. i prefer my kit len 18-55mm
    But then again sometimes you like to shoot with bigger aperture or use a longer focal length (if space permits). If you look at some of Amano's photos of his tanks, sometimes I see fish in focus in the front and the plants slightly blur at the background. It gave a sense of "depth".

So getting a lens with wide aperture is of course good as you can have the option of stepping down to a smaller aperture when needed.

The 50/1.8 is the cheapest Canon lens with such big aperture. I have one too but frankly I rarely use it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just bought the 50mm f1.8, tried some shots of full tank at 2.8, fish very sharp but really shallow dof . Imagine 1.8 ... Haven't really get to know the characteristics yet but here's one cropped portion of a slightly bigger than 2 feet tank full shot resized using 60% smart resize(PSP). Full tank too ugly, next time then show

Settings: f/2.8, shutter:1/60 on tripod, lightings 36 watts over normal 2 feet, wb cloudy, iso100

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    suggest a smaller aperture and higher ISO. a good DSLR should be useable up to ISO400. But then again I still don't understand your needs. why are you shooting a full tank and still demanding tack sharp fishes, all of them? Looks like conflicting requirements. The solution to your problem is not a faster lens, but more lights.

Guess how Amano does it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    suggest a smaller aperture and higher ISO. a good DSLR should be useable up to ISO400. But then again I still don't understand your needs. why are you shooting a full tank and still demanding tack sharp fishes, all of them? Looks like conflicting requirements. The solution to your problem is not a faster lens, but more lights.

Guess how Amano does it?
    Guess I'm just a newbie and wanted to try everything new in the spur of the moment

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Just bought the 50mm f1.8, tried some shots of full tank at 2.8, fish very sharp but really shallow dof . Imagine 1.8 ... Haven't really get to know the characteristics yet but here's one cropped portion of a slightly bigger than 2 feet tank full shot resized using 60% smart resize(PSP). Full tank too ugly, next time then show

Settings: f/2.8, shutter:1/60 on tripod, lightings 36 watts over normal 2 feet, wb cloudy, iso100
    Hi Wong,

Mind if you show a shot of a single fish in a bigger picture (640 x 480)? I would like to know what the difference of the picture as compared to using the kit lens.

You did not mention flash in your setting, so no flash?
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sure dude, probably later in the evening. But minimum focusing distance is quite long, at 0.45m, so you probably can't get extra big and detailed pencil fish

And yes, no flash. Just 36 watts over 2 footer. I think it's quite a good lense for fishtography, for bigger fishies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I cropped a group of rasbora at 0% resize, 1 is too small

Here's a full tank pic resized to 1024 X 768 px, just to let you get the idea of how far I shot at.

All images as original, unedited

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, you are right about the DOF... it's really shallow. Even your blyxa/hairgrass (?) and your ferns have become a blur. Looking at your fishes, even they are close to each other, the ones behind have the bokeh effect.

But the fishes does stand out though... thanks for sharing the pics
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Haven't got time to try 3.5 or 4.5 yet, maybe will be good. Later ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast