Country
    Singapore

Current in water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys!

I just tried my hand at doing up a vivarium today and I realised that I got a small problem.

The trickle of water from my filter (its a small jebao HOT) downwards towards the moss and the slope does not produce enough water agitation and I realised that my danios are gasping for air. Do you guys add a seperate pump to produce enough currents to keep your fish from getting breathless? I can't get a pic up cos' my USB port seems to be having problems.
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wahaa! you're into vivarium liao! . how big is the tank, if the water level is high enough, get a more powderfoo power head lah!

How's Spain?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hehe.... Hi Kenneth!!!!!

Yeah, got tired of my 2 footer in my room and decided to go Viv. The ones in this forum are realy inspiring.

Used everything I could finds in my store. Have this big piece of slanting DW that I used as the main land area. The rest are just reused smaller DW and some stones. Have a local skink (my nephew caught it), some local furry clawed shrimps and 5 danios in there.

Put in a small powerhead for the circulation already. Hope all turns out well. The mosses are kept moist cos' of the trickle from the HOT. Still need lotsa guidance from you guys!

BTW, Spain was really hot. Can't find a single LFS there!!!!! Wahahahaha!!!! I prefer Singapore!!!!!
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    skink... mmmm... I'm not sure.... but they might be more suitable in a terrarium... too much water might not be good for them. Post a pic of your creation as soon as you can

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmysoup
    Used everything I could finds in my store. Have this big piece of slanting DW that I used as the main land area. The rest are just reused smaller DW and some stones. Have a local skink (my nephew caught it), some local furry clawed shrimps and 5 danios in there.
    Skink? Coloured lizard eh? Your nephew going to catch a few more? I am looking for an ant-eating small creature for my hermit tank...

You have a cover for the tank? Did your tank temperature get very high? For me, when I return home at 7pm, the tank (air temperature) would be at 32C! Water should be warmer... Some fish may not like that... and so gasping...

Anyway, danios are very active swimmers... maybe they are not that suitable for a vivarium setup as the current in a vivarium usually not so strong... What about letting the water trickle and drop down into the water? That'll create some oxygenating effect... I have no problems with guppies in the water with no flow...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fei Miao:

I thought so too. But I dunno what to do with the skink after my nephew came back with it in a plastic bag! I guess you're right on that though. Too much water ain't good for these guys. I'm having problems feeding it too. Dunno what to feed the fella. Having problems loading my pics from the DC to the PC cos' of the USB port. Will attemp to do so asap.

Justikanz:

I agree with you. Think it gets real high at times. But I guess the humidity is good for the moss? I am a noob on Vivs and this is my first time. Does emersed moss grow well in humid conditions? Cos' I know it grows well submersed in cold water.

No worries about the danio. They are doing fine in there. The powerhead really did the trick for them.

P.S. I'll let you know if my naughty nephew catches more skinks. Will give one to you.
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just some advise... skinks do not take well to water... they thrive better in a Terrarium rather den a Vivarium/Paludarium...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ooo... Maybe the skink might do better at my hermit tank, which is just humid with no water... Keke...

Seriously, if there is another one, do let me know, ya, Edmund? In the meantime, I need to find a tight cover...

Feed the skink mealworms? Ants?

Moss should have no problem growing emersed in humid conditions... I had java moss growing outside of my overhanging filter's filter media...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fei Miao:

P.S. I'll let you know if my naughty nephew catches more skinks. Will give one to you.
    your naughty nephew's getting popular...I want too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hehe.... he's been banned from catching any more stuff thats reptilean in nature by his Dad.

I remember such skinks being sold as bird food for sharmas when I was young.... poor fellas. I wonder if such a practise still goes on....

He's taken refuge under a piece of driftwood. Feeding him ants now. Thats the smallest insects I can think of that might fit his mouth. He's eating some.

Kenneth: Want skinks, just activate Sgt Vincent lah.... anytime can change Operation Scoop to Operation Skink.... He's the Rambo, remember?
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aiyah! Tell his father that your nephew's captives are popular and can fetch him some $$, though not much!

Skinks as bird food? Anyway, know where we can buy such animals? Or are they also being banned? But they are found locally leh...

Vincent seems to be away, is it? Had not been able to contact him...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    His father your bro. right?...some outdoor activity good for him lah, better than just sitting in front of the TV all the time
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 7th Sep 2005 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Second that! So, that makes 2 good reasons for your nephew to assume his reptilian 'hobby'... Keke...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hehe.... no, his Mom is my sister. He caught it while waiting for his school bus. I was wondering how he did it, cos' these fellas are lightning fast once they disappear into the grass. Walk about grass patches and you may see one lying at the side sun bathing at times. I have seen it quite a number of times. This fella's about 4 inches including tail. Handsome features it has.

They were sold at $1.00 per piece when I was a kid as treats to sharmas and China thrushes. I don't think they are doing that now. I had a skink lay eggs for me when I was a boy. Caught it also. Many years back.

Vincent's in town.
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quite desperatly looking for some creature to be roommates with my hermits! The ants are appearing cos the humid tank and the leftover apples that my hermits cannot finish are too great a temptation not to be missed by the ants! And I had so many mealworms cos my froggies cannot eat that much that soon... Keke... Think will be looking around... Let me know when there is 1 or you know where they're selling.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had a skink lay eggs for me when I was a boy. Caught it also. Many years back.
    ..Guess you are too slow for them now ....huh...Mmmm... must be age catching up...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another thing i'd like to add is that, skinks in general as to other reptiles need a constant supply of UVB or indirect sunlight. They need to have periods of basking and also a high calcium based intake of food.

Now, if ya're planning on having a skink living throughout till an old age and in proper health, i guess these issues should be relooked again into. Anyway since your tank has a water area, it's fine to have them in there, just that the land area can't be too wet or moist as these in turn will affect the skinks dietry comsumption as well as health growth rates. Be sure to let them have a spot where they could bask and regulate their body temperatures well. If too prolong a period in a damp environment, they will in future have skin problems which in turn will lead to stress and refusal of food.

Hope these will aid in your needs in providing the skink with the proper care it needs.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Phillipe!

That was a very detailed insight into the care of small reptiles and I appreciate your input on this. Its a beautiful little thing, but I guess I have to look into the 2 main areas of sunlight basking and calcium for its food. What do they eat in the wild and how do they get enough calcium? I suppose I could dust the ants with calcium powder for this fella?
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi you could feed it small crickets or order pinheads, should do fine. remember not to separate calcium intake from sunlight in the equation as the skink needs the sunlight to convert the calcium into something viable for it's lithe 4" of glossy scales.

cute critters, very amusing and curious. would be good to give it a huge tank or let it go in the wild

caught a clouded monitor lizard that clambered into my kitchen (theres a big drain out in the back) and thought for a second about...then...NAH..haha anyway it's back in the wild now.