Country
    Singapore

Bugs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi PPl,

I would like to check with you ppl how you maintain your Vavariums in terms of keeping the bugs out. I tried my hands on the terrarium a few years back but the onset of bugs and little stuff running around is just too much. Recently I started to have plants in my living room but before long you can feel and see the bugs all over the place. Would be great if I can get feed back on this issuse. Thanks in advance.

Pat
    Fishnatic

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Bugs are cute what... why get rid of them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I understand what he meant... Some bugs are cute but some aren't. Even if they are, too many of them are irritating and distracting. My hermit tank is starting to attract ants. Apparently, they like the warm, humid and cozy environment inside!...

Have you tot of introducing a toad to eat up the critters? I am seriously thinking of finding a toad... But the shops are not selling cos of AVA regulation... Some feeder frogs are nice and are just right for a vivarium... but frogs jump and likes a water area... My hermit tank does not have a secure cover...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Flush them with a water spray and the fishes gets a treat!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Pitcher plant or venus flytrap might help.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just wanna ask... again... How wet can a venus flytrap be kept? If the leaves tuen black, can we just cut that away? I was told by the auntie selling me the flytrap that the plant should not be kept too wet and that the leaves turning black are normal. New leaves will grow.

Flytraps dun take small ants right? Seems that the sensors might not be triggered as the ants are too light?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mites and such

Hey PPl,

Thanks for reply, the problem with these bugs (more seem like mites, almost not visable to the eye ) it will move out of the vivariums and before you knows it the whole place is infested !!! How you know the moment you start to ich all over...after you handle the plants or stuff in the tank...and you start to see the bugs on the floor (you need a strong light to see them )
    Fishnatic

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Is it the red spider mite? kinda small and a bit reddish type? If yes, try to make the garlic water and spray. I know the garlic very smelly. But I do cure lot of plants and get rid of the mite with this garlic water.

Cut the garlic into piece. Put into the bottle and mix with water. Let it overnight. Remember, must get it overnight. Then take out all the garlic and just use the water to spray....
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds like a good idea... Would the garlic spray be detrimental to other animals? Can it be used as a 'general tonic' like thingie for plants?

I noticed some small white mite like stuff in the water to land interface in the old vivarium that I had. They never escape...

But such small mites are often present when the fish food are not finished in a couple of months... Seems like they are always around, looking for an oppotunity to breed and grow... Most small fish seems to relish on these mites... I used to keep a bottle of the mites just to feed the fish... till some of them managed to escape through the tight plastic cap, that is...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I tried before and no harm to the fishes. But I am not sure about other animal like gecko or newtz.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good Idea

Hey Man,

I think I will try the Garlic water seem to be a good idea, never come across this before. For my plants I normally use the mite spray, those found in every flower shop or nursery.... I remember I once saw on the Discovery channel on Project Eden..( the place is the Mother of all Terrarium) they burn Tobacco Leaf to smoke out the whole place to rid the infested plant.
    Fishnatic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good idea, i might try that

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Please try to spray the garlic water for twice per week. ..upper leaf n bottom leaf. spray it everywhere...

Take take around 5 to 6 clove of garlic into 500ml of water. put it overnite... remember, only overnite garlic water is powerful enough to get rid of the mites. After the garlic water finished, you need to make a new batch again. (Dont re-use the existing garlic.) Don't spray it daily. It might burn up the leaf of yr plant.

You can cut the garlic into pieces or just use a hammer or bigger knife to smash it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fresh garlic? I assume those already finely chopped ones are not powerful enough?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes. fresh one. No powerful? You can keep inside a bottle with water. Then smell it on 2nd day. See whether it is strong or not. (Cow also die...)