Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How is a fan attached to the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by riccia
    hello alvin

I bought a small one from NA recently. cost me $29 but it's very quiet. good enough for my 2ft tank. temperature between 26.2 to 27.7 nowadays.

at first I also felt it was quite expensive but it was really worth it. quiet & also quite pleasant looking with the holder. definitely a good recommendation from the owner.
    Hi,

I am new and I think I see you active in Yahoo.sg selling the plants right? My question is how is the fab attached to e aquarium? Thanks

This post was split from the thread: "Sound of cooling fan..."
    Last edited by |squee|; 5th Sep 2005 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Merduka,

Welcome to AQ (forgot to welcome you ) I split your question into a seperate thread as we typcially try not to go off-topic on thread subjects here. I hope you understand.

For my fan set, I built one myself using this article from Petfrd.com. It stays on the tank's edges by long strips of wire casing. I've also seen people attaching them to thick steel rails and inserting rubber suckers on them to stick on the tank's edge. All the above techniques require that you have a black bracing on top of your tank.

If your's is a rimless tank (i.e. there's only glass edge) it'll be easier for you to buy some bendable wire (the kind of copper wire where its covered by green plastic, you can bend it using pilers, I've no idea how else to describe it) and fashion a sort of holding stand for your DIY fan.

There's also commercial fan sets available, but they are typically noisy, but some are rather quiet. Computer fans are much more silent, and cheaper in that way they're DIYed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Merduka
    Hi,

I am new and I think I see you active in Yahoo.sg selling the plants right? My question is how is the fab attached to e aquarium? Thanks

This post was split from the thread: "Sound of cooling fan..."

welcome bro merduka

i think you must be mistaken. i did not sell any plants in yahoo at all. for fans, i bought the readily available ones from NA.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bro u got a good diy article there. but how much difference can the fan create??? coz currently my water temp is 30 degree hope to bring it down by ard 3 to 4 degree will it be possible???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    yeah it is possible. dependind on the room temperature and aquarium size. my 5 foot tank was bout 31 degrees but when i attached 3 computer fans it dropped to 28. Be warned evaporation rate will increase!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfinder78
    hi bro u got a good diy article there. but how much difference can the fan create??? coz currently my water temp is 30 degree hope to bring it down by ard 3 to 4 degree will it be possible???
    it depends on the number of fan you would like to install and the size of your tank. having said that, 1 or 2 fans doesn't make a lot of different because the temperature reduced is not significantly different. but remember that the more fan you have, more water will evaporate faster.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try hanging it over the tank ... I'll try to post a pic later on my setup

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hanging it over the tank will be a beter option for me cause a 2 footer does have much place left with 2 piece of lights. Total of 91 watt so it get pretty warm up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    there is a clip on type that is sold in a few LFS here. they are easy to install and quiet too.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, to add on to what the other forumers ve said i ve another suggestion, depending on your light type. I have a 1 ft light set that is extentable to 1.5, the fan which i obtained.... i placed it in the space where there is a gap left by the extending of the light set., Try ti picture it, that way i save on the money and effort fashioning the wires as well
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    okie thanks but i got those small standing cooling fan and place it beside my tank and it's working very well