Images
    Country
    Singapore

My Glossostigma and Xmas Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I found some hairlike algae on the leaves of some of my glosso. it has abit of resemblance of our hair, black and stick out of the leaves? what are those algae? will it harm the rest of my glosso and retards its growth? some of my glosso are growing vertically and some horizontally. I place my light directly above the glosso to make sure they grow horizontally. i have about 3.6W per gallon. Those that are growing vertically, i cut them, leaving only apair of leaves, and plant those i've cut. hoping that will help to get a carpet soon.
    Now to my xmas moss, from what i observed from the tanks from pet safari and some other lfs, their xmas moss fronds seem to be pointing up towards the light, however, mine is growing and pointing towards the ground. IS there anything wrong? 80% are pointing downwards. is it becos they are still short? it's aledy 2 months since i plant them.

Please advise[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its BBA, you better work towards clearing it up or your whole tank is gonna be super disgusting ugly

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh dear, what can i do to clear it? please advise. i cut away those leaves with that. what;s the cause of it? how fast will it spread? what will it do to my tank in future????

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My tank is only 2 months old and have BBA? what can ido to save my plants and tank...[]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should i remove all the glosso? since some have BBA? if i have to remove, i'll replace with riccia, and make it a full carpet of riccia (now only 1/2)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    only SAE seem to eat BBA, if you're luck to get the hardworking ones. Suggest you try 4 SAE, get the small ones and DO NOT FEED. If you have to feed the others make sure the food doesn't drop down and no SAE comes up to grab any.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy,

Sorry.. so far nothing touch BBA especially SAE. However, I tried using flower snails it did clear some BBA off my background. The BBA growing on gravel can't seem to go away. So what I did was syphon away the infected gravel and cut away the infected leaves.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/28/2002 2:06:42 AM

hwchoy,

Sorry.. so far nothing touch BBA especially SAE. However, I tried using flower snails it did clear some BBA off my background. The BBA growing on gravel can't seem to go away. So what I did was syphon away the infected gravel and cut away the infected leaves.
    ----------------
    I had a BBA attack on my glosso too. Added SAE (from 2 to 4), and 15 dwarf pencilfish, and 20 yamato. Also stopped fertilising. Miraculously the BBA went away . Oh, also added lots of C. demersum (courtesy juggler).

One of them must have done the trick! [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, how about green wool like algae ? They are growing on my driftwoods and sometimes appear in the shape of small balls on the gravel. What type opf algae they are and if they are as "harmful" as BBA ??

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    choy,

I strongly believe that the pencilfish did the trick rather than the SAE.

But then again, I know some ppl put in no matter what fish ans still no results.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i strongly recommend that u remove as much as u can and add in fast growers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BBA are headaches...

FYI tanks that never get BBA will never get BBA even if you introduce it to the tank. previously had a 3ft tank which had BBA after 3mths and it didn't really go off . After i setup another tank which doesn't have any BBA so i decided to try introducing BBA into that tank too but it didn't grow needless to say it spread.

The BBA didn't really die away just remain at that state , i suppose is nutrient control +)
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/28/2002 4:28:59 PM

But then again, I know some ppl put in no matter what fish ans still no results.....
    ----------------
    I know! I'm so lucky. Many bayi must have read bible for me [:] [:] [:]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HAHAHA,
    i finally removed all my glosso on monday. removed a layer of gravel, washed it and put it back into the tank. rescaped my tank. using riccia on the entire ground and used wire mesh to create contour slopes so when the riccia grows, it'll look magnificent. harvested from what i grew and meshed them to cover the entire 1.5 ft ground. bought a fibreglass rock, looks nice, had the hairgrass planted randomly among the riccia, at the middle and background. i inverted the xmas moss, so they're pointing upwards rather than downwards. looking forward to see them grow this month. last nite, i say a magnificent view of my riccia, bubbles bubbles bubbles, even bigger bubbles. look so much beautiful. never seen that before. really splendid

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Ray,

one satisfied customer? ......colin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    this is what I do when I get BBA.

RESORT TO CHEMICAL warfare.

usualy I get bba if I do drastic changes like cleaning my filter or overdosing on fertilizer.

run a 6 dose course of Azoo algae killer.

--
    afterwhich no more bba.

side effect: all my hornwort will die.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/2/2002 2:07:51 PM

this is what I do when I get BBA.

RESORT TO CHEMICAL warfare.

usualy I get bba if I do drastic changes like cleaning my filter or overdosing on fertilizer.

run a 6 dose course of Azoo algae killer.

--
    afterwhich no more bba.

side effect: all my hornwort will die.

----------------
    Generally, I do not recommend anybody to do it this way. It only kill the algae when the chemical is in effect. When it wear away or after water changes, your plants are probably in a bad shape to compete with a new wave of algae attack.[]

BC