Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    No. it's paint, then varnish then spray with vinegar solution. Leave it to dry fully after each stage.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Varnish to seal the paint. I think any varnish is fine. Treat the varnish with vinegar water or lemon juice when dried.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see. If you don't seal the foam before the painting. The painting will be absorded into foam and would that be a problem later?
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh, there is no need to seal the foam before painting. Seal the paint, not the foam... Go through the steps as shown and you will not go wrong... Hmm... When will WildGinger be back for more detailed and original answers to all these queries?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Late reply but better late than never.

Star-flog, the paint is to be 'sealed' into the styrofoam as to prevent it from leeching back into the water column. But be aware that the paint must first be dried completely before applying a coat of paint sealant or something similar.

Hope this helps.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Portugal
    here´s my background. i´m sorry, but it´s written in portuguese, however a photo worts for a thousand of words.

http://aquariofiliosanonimous.spaces.live.com/

* sorry for my english

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boa vinda a AQ! Excelente de Trabalho, bem do feito!
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Miao miao, translate leh...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe we can use some translation website that translate other website
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Fei Miao
    Boa vinda a AQ! Excelente de Trabalho, bem do feito!
    Welcome to AQ! Excellent work, well done!

you can try altavista babelfish translator
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 16th Aug 2006 at 10:51.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Portugal
    First of sorry for the waiting, second thank´s for your complements.

Here´s the translation:

Material:

X-ato
    Esferovite ( isopor para os meus irmão do outro lado do Atlântico)
    Marcador de feltro
    Cola
    Cimento
    Silicone
    Material:

Sharp knife
    Styrofoam sheet
    colour pen/marker
    Cement
    Silicon

Construção:

A primeira coisa a fazer é desenhar, com o marcador de feltro no esferovite, a forma que nós queremos que as nossas rochas tenham, redondas, quadradas, em camadas, etc.
    Construction:

The first thing to do is to draw, with the marker on the styrofoam, the shape we want our rock´s to have (round, square, etc)
    Before doing this is better to watch severall Backgrounds to choose the ones we like best.

Depois deste passo, começamos a escavar o esferovite com o X-ato, nuns sitios mais profundo que noutros para dar uma sensação mais natural. Este processo é bastante sujo, a casa fica cheia de pedaços de esferovite, mas pode ser combatido de duas maneiras, ou aquecendo o X-ato, ou tendo um aspirador à mão.
    After we start carving the styro, deeper in some places less deeper in some others to make it look natural. Rock´s ain´t have all the same size.
    This is a very dirty process, so you better have a vacuum cleaner near by or send your mother/wife out, so they don´t see the mess.

De seguida quando o nosso fundo estiver bem escavado podemos ainda colar mais pedaços de esferovite, de modo a dar ainda mais relevo. Atenção que o esferovite desaparece com a cola. Eu utilizei cola de madeira.
    When we achive that our rock´s are well carved we can glue some litle pieces of styro, in order to pronounced even more the rock´s.
    Remember glue is a solvent in styro, use silicon (i´ve used wood glue, but...)

No fim de todo o processo de escavação e colagem estar concluído, no fim de termos definido bem a forma que queremos dar às rochas está na altura de aplicarmos o cimento. Antes de aplicar o meu eu passei tinta de spray no fundo, a tinta, assim como a cola derrete o esferovite, dando-lhe uma textura. deste modo quando passarmos o cimento ele não vai ficar liso.
    At the end of all the carv and glue process it´s time to aplly the cement.
    Before i aplly the cement i´ve painted the styro with grafitti spray, the spray is a solvent so it will make it easier for the cement to stick to the styro, also it provides texture to the rocks.

Devemos dar várias camadas de cimento, esperando sempre que ele seque entre cada camada, e lembre-se, mais vale dar várias camadas finas do que poucas grossas.
    We should give several layers of cement, better thin layers than the oposite (miss the word )

Por último e para terminar misturei corante no cimento das últimas demãos. Ao príncipio tive um bocado de dificuldade para afinar a cor, mas agora acho que consegui, e que o resultado é satisfatório.
    At last i´ve mixed some colour on the cement, however i didin´t like the colour and i prefer just natural cement colour.

Remember tjis is a bad translation of what i´ve done, i´ve add some comments who were not on the original document
    Sorry for my english, and be free to ask anything.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder
    here´s my background. i´m sorry, but it´s written in portuguese, however a photo worts for a thousand of words.

http://aquariofiliosanonimous.spaces.live.com/

* sorry for my english
    Would be great if you can post the pics here too!
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    I know you are going to love this...

14+ feet high of solid background (not yet done)

Close up for details

Yet to be further shaped, re-touched and coloured.

Feedback Score
    Country
    China
    very

GOOD

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hats off!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12