Pleco Recommendation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello all Pleco Kings and Queens

can you guys recommend a couple of species that meet the following criteria

(1) available in singapore
    (2) must grow big at least 10" (fast growth rate is even better)
    (3) attractive markings
    (4) tough and strong
    (5) herbivorous or ominvore both OK

oh and can tell me approx price too?

thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not pleco king nor queen, just the servant here![]

hey, i recommend L14, something i like (attractive) but decided not to get (too big for my liking)!

first saw in petmart but couldn't ask the price cos too crowded. ben/tiongbahru said he could get (but nothing came) and quoted "twenty something lah".

of course allen will give you a list in seconds![]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Look like u like big pleco. Can try these, L027, L077, L200, L114. Price for these few type are kind of exp. I think they are quit easy to aquire in LFS like C328, petmart etc..

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    SIM's koi pond have some that reach almost a ft... but those are common ones.. if not, where got wait till u guys come and catch.. hehehee....

if u dun need fanciful ones, then get those high-finned spotted pleco lah.. cost the most $2-$2.50... those are very common...but not the albino or those $1 or 50cents type...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/29/2002 10:44:12 AM

hello all Pleco Kings and Queens

can you guys recommend a couple of species that meet the following criteria

(1) available in singapore
    (2) must grow big at least 10" (fast growth rate is even better)
    (3) attractive markings
    (4) tough and strong
    (5) herbivorous or ominvore both OK

oh and can tell me approx price too?

thanks!

----------------
    LSZ ! man ! it's tough meeting all those criteria lah ! anyway here are my recom. L24- Red Cactus Cat , L25 - Scarlet , L95 - Pineapple , L273 - Titanic , any of the Royal Panaque Family , hope this help , Cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ah! when THE MAN speaks!!! told you allen can give you a list in seconds! and with the names too![:0]

kunner, read that L114 is a real "garang" character... L200 is in the "big" category? oh, oh...[:0]

kelvin, try the kentridge park pond behind science park. the plecos here are over 1ft, but they've very nice dots on them.[]

allen, 2 days back i siphoned the gravel under my L134's bridge and since then, he's been stuck to the glass behind my filter's inlet, probably sulking...[] hope he does come down at night to find for food!

going home now to try to pacify him...[]
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/29/2002 5:01:37 PM

ah! when THE MAN speaks!!! told you allen can give you a list in seconds! and with the names too![:0]

kunner, read that L114 is a real "garang" character... L200 is in the "big" category? oh, oh...[:0]

kelvin, try the kentridge park pond behind science park. the plecos here are over 1ft, but they've very nice dots on them.[]

allen, 2 days back i siphoned the gravel under my L134's bridge and since then, he's been stuck to the glass behind my filter's inlet, probably sulking...[] hope he does come down at night to find for food!

going home now to try to pacify him...[]
    ----------------
    L200 look big to me when I saw it at pet mart about 6'~7'?? Anyway if u r looking for those common asia pleco go and take a look at the one at seletar reservoir, try to catch it and bring home if u can [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/29/2002 5:01:37 PM

read that L114 is a real "garang" character... L200 is in the "big" category? oh, oh...[:0]

----------------
    Flor ! yeap u're right ! L114 is very garang ! especially during feeding time !. L200 is " big " BUT - will have to take many many many moons lah ! coz' I have two that have been with me for years and they doesn't seem to grow at all !.

Yeap ! sounds like he's sulking alright ! he is probably very angry with u for cleaning his mess ! I meant nest ![]. Anyway he'll be back !. Since he's out ! do a quick check on his tummy ! make sure it is not sunken ! or any signs of external infection !.

Safe Diving !
    Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

The following are available over our showtank for big Plecos:
    Adult L200( 20cm),L65(20 cm, Black body with White marking), Spiny Monster (20 cm, Brown body with black spots- a rarity), Big Spotted Adonis (already 30 cm ++),Spotted Royal Pleco (30cm), Volcano (Blue Eye Bruno, 25cm)all these have attractive markings, robust and strong. Mostly are single pieces specimen except for Royal Pleco. So call us to check for their availability.

Feedback Score
    How do I get to Gans without a car? I believe they are at lim chu kang area right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but i reccomened the sailfin plec. Not sure if they are available in singapore though? These plecs are definatly tough, great tankmate for cichlids IMO.
    Here is a pic of a sailfin..im sure you will aggree, nice markings...

Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ender, to go to gan's without a car, i've come out with a list of alternatives, but i've yet to go there myself[] :

1) if one of the guys here is going, maybe find a ride.
    2) walk about 20mins from limchukang, i think bus is 175 from choachukang.
    3) walk about 20mins from the bus stop near kranji reservoir, bus 925(?) from woodlands interchange.
    4) try to get a taxi to take you there, but i heard it'll be easier if you let the driver wait for you at the farm, that is, let the meter run. "bao" the taxi, some people may say.

i'm thinking of trying option 3) or 4) this weekend. not sure yet, cos if i go to gan's, sure want to buy something!!![:0] []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wa so many to look from!

ok i will do my hunting after my project is done

thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wa so many to look from!

ok i will do my hunting after my project is done

thank you!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    LSZ, the pleco that James posted is what i told u abt... []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    flor, siao ah, walk all the way into Gan's. I think it is easier to hitch a ride with someone on Saturday!

Oh and if you really going to try it, should borrow from URA those hats worn by the parking attendants. [:0]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy, siao alright - plecory siao![]

no lah, thinking only, not actioned yet. like today supposed to go lorong halus, ended up in petmart. wow, so very crowded!!![:0]

ha, can you imagine if hello kitty goes to limchukang? the queue will probably reach the reservoir, or even woodlands mrt station!!![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Sorry Kelvin, didnt think you were talking about the same pleco as me...
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/30/2002 4:44:47 AM

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but i reccomened the sailfin plec. Not sure if they are available in singapore though? These plecs are definatly tough, great tankmate for cichlids IMO.

----------------
    Mez ! the sailfin plecos are easily available in our LFS, they're about 50 cts to a bucks per pc. The growth rate for this particular species is very very fast so much so ! that alot of "people " are " dumping " their over-grown sailfin into places like " school ponds " , " lakes " and even in the drainage system ! . So Ppl ! pls don't buy them if u have tank space contraint, Thks.

Safe Diving !
    Akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually i have a gibbicep too

mine is very nice short body and super big fin look very high class for a 50cent fish!

but looking for more