Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Soaking of Bogwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How long do I have soak a bogwood before it will sink in the water? Any secret formula to make the process faster?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well I took one month for my driftwood to sink. Hot water and patience are the secrets. If you can boil your driftwood, or just pour boiling water over it frequently. Eventually it'll sink.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    look around in the forum in the search engine. If i m not wrong, soaking it in hot water speeds up the process of it sinking. If you are impatient, tie it to a stone or something heavy to weigh it down for 3 weeks or so, a rough estimate for it. Hot water speeds up the process a little
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow!!! 1 month ??? ok .. thanks....

I weigh mine down with those flexible metal strip thing. Take up less space than a stone/rock of a similar weight, but some people may not like the idea of having any form of metal in the water. =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kniveswood
    I weigh mine down with those flexible metal strip thing. Take up less space than a stone/rock of a similar weight, but some people may not like the idea of having any form of metal in the water. =)
    Those that you get when you buy potted plants ? They can weight down the wood meh?

Quote Originally Posted by krabbie
    Those that you get when you buy potted plants ? They can weight down the wood meh?
    I'm talk about those that look something like this:

Sure can weigh down wood, quite heavy for its size.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Please note that this is lead. It is a very dense metal and thus can weigh the wood down. But it is also poisonous to inverts (shrimps, snails) and some plants if there is too much in the water, so remove the metal once the wood sinks.

Best is still to pre-soak the wood. It will also reduce the level of tannic acid leaching out later and turning the water too brownish...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Please note that this is lead. It is a very dense metal and thus can weigh the wood down. But it is also poisonous to inverts (shrimps, snails) and some plants if there is too much in the water, so remove the metal once the wood sinks.

Best is still to pre-soak the wood. It will also reduce the level of tannic acid leaching out later and turning the water too brownish...
    Thanks for the warning!

But for the benefit of anyone who really want to risk it like I did, I left it in the tank for 1mth+, then took it out when wood sinks on its own. Had some yamatos in the tank that time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It can be done... just remember to remove the lead pieces after it sinks. Don't leave it in permanently. It takes quite a long time for the lead to accumulate in the water but it can. Cheers...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by krabbie
    How long do I have soak a bogwood before it will sink in the water? Any secret formula to make the process faster?
    Like what the rest said, boil your dw. As for how long you need to boil it before it can sink on its own accord, it really depends on the size. a small 'branchy' dw can sink after 2-3 boiling, but a big one needs to be weighed down in the tank for 3 to 4 weeks.

Anyway, it's always good to boil a new dw even if it can sink - can sterilize it and kill any contaminants - do note that we also give the dw a hard scrubbing right after boiling - can help remove any loose bark or wooden chips - you'd be surprised at the effect of that .

And Justikanz is right, this boiling will encourage leaching of tannin but the dw will still leach a long time after boiling too.

So good luck and enjoying making the wood broth!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    since we r talking abt wood here may i ask how to have wood in the plant yet prevent water for turning yellowish? i had soak my wood for a month but still the water turn yellow anyway i can do to get rid of the yellow water???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use activated carbon. But carbon will also remove the dissolved fertilizers. And dun leave the carbon in the water for too long, stuff will be released back into the water after saturation.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh thanks but can quote me a time frame? say 1 day or 2 days?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use it till the yellow colour goes away.