Country
    Singapore

1.5 or 2ft height better?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, can someone here help recommend.
    I am thinking of setting up a 4ft planted tank, the fish to be kept likely would be altum angels. I read from the forum that altum angels need a tall tank, is 1.5ft good enough? If I go for 2 ft height tank, can the plants at the bottom received sufficient light? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2ft ht should be still ok for PL to reach to the base. However it also depends on the height of the substrate, prob make it around 2 inches? or 3 if you can also. However there has been a recent discussion where they said that T5 lights appear to be better for a taller tank. Chk it out in this forum i believe its somewhere here. Or why not custom make a tank, thats what i ll do too when i m gettingmine, prob 4 x 1.5 x 20 inches. That way i think after taking into account the gravel i should have 1.5 feet for the plants to grow, rather sufficient.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    For Altums to display their full flair, i would suggest going for a 2' height tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    Hi, can someone here help recommend.
    I am thinking of setting up a 4ft planted tank, the fish to be kept likely would be altum angels. I read from the forum that altum angels need a tall tank, is 1.5ft good enough? If I go for 2 ft height tank, can the plants at the bottom received sufficient light? Thanks.
    Just some advise to your question :

Altum Angels would sure love a 2ft height tanks as it allows the space for it to grow.

As for if the light at the bottom can receive sufficient lights, it all depends on what type of plants you intend to keep.

If you are looking at high light demand plants, PL might not be able to penetrate all the way to the bottom (This is my personal experience, others can correct me if I am wrong)

If you trying low maintainance plants, like anubias, ferms, etc. Then lights should be a problem

Cheers
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Go for the 2ft height for Altum.
    PL light should not have problem reaching that height.

1.5ft minus off the substrate thickness you will not have much left.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2ft for altums... to bring out their beauty and potential. PL should be ok, especially if your substrate is 2" - 3" thick. I had no problems with swords and mosses... And Hygrophila sp..
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bros for all the good advice. What if I use 4 x 4ft36W FL light, it is good for 2ft height tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly, after switching to PL, I prefer PL, they are cooler (temperature) than FLs... Maybe others can provide better explanations...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well if you're intending to keep high light-demanding plants like glosso for your foreground for a 2ft high tank, then PL or even better MH lights should be used.

IME, PL may lose intensity over time (after 6mths to a year), so you may have to replace the bulbs. MH is the best. It penetrates deep into the water but it's expensive and heats up alot - may need a chiller to maintain the tank temp. So guess it's your call.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks. In this case I would go for the PL light. I have less experience with PL light, by the way, for the tank size of 4x1.5x2 ft tank, how many tubes, or watt should I use, do the tubes also indicate 6500K or 7000K etc?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From just a practical point of view, 2ft is better... In my current 2ft height tank, there are lots of plants which easily reach the water surface. If you get a 1.5ft height, means you are restricted to shorted background plants, and also probably more regular pruning/maintenance...

Hehehe If I could I would get a 2.5ft height now... maybe for the next tank
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2.5ft is heaven! But hor... for short arms like yours truely... Keke... I will get my face wet! Haha...

Anyway, most PLs will not be very effective at 2.5ft.... 2ft still ok, esp with substrate minimum 2-3" thick...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    Thanks. In this case I would go for the PL light. I have less experience with PL light, by the way, for the tank size of 4x1.5x2 ft tank, how many tubes, or watt should I use, do the tubes also indicate 6500K or 7000K etc?
    Ram, ur tank is about 81gallon, so depending on ur plants, u can work out the light requirement. For light-demanding plants, you'd probably need 3W per g = 244W.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    2.5ft is heaven! But hor... for short arms like yours truely... Keke... I will get my face wet! Haha...
    and your fishes will start on the black tubifex worms everytime u stick your arms in. 2.5ft deep is too deep for my liking - tough to plant foreground plants. MH lights would do better for such a deep tank too.
    Last edited by anakin; 26th Sep 2005 at 09:44.