Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Crypt newbie question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Having just purchased my first crypts (wendtii var Mi Oya and walkeri) over the weekend, i'd like to know roughly how long it would take for them to grow from their current height of approx 10cm to their full grown state of 25cm+ as stated in tropica.com.
    1-2 months? or 5-6months? or even longer?

should it require >3 months, i'm considering getting some stem plants to stand in and fill up the visual space.

would the crypts even grow up to 25cm height in the first place?

the tank is 2' x 1' x 1', co2 enriched, 62w PL.

3 x 9.7ppm NO3, 2.5ppm PO4, 10ppm K a week.
    2 x 5ml flourish a week
    no base fert

flora and fauna:
    12 t. espei, java ferns, hairgrass and c. wendtii and c.walkeri

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I wouldn't give a definite time frame for your crypts to grow to their max size. But one thing from personal experience is, if you do supplement root fertilisers such as root monster/jobe sticks in the substrate, the growth of the crypts would be boosted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From my experience, the old leaves will tend to melt. You will have to wait for the new leave to grow.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They can grow huge. Supplement your fertilisation regime with commercial root fertilisers. It's not very scientific but people have reported substrate additives do wonders for crypts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Terence, why not scientific? Should be open to different school of taughts mah.

Science is a continuation of exploration, not necessary the real "fact". Results will be different in papers by different scientists, biologists, biased to what they assume and believe.

If there isnt enough scientific reasons to back it, why would there be so many roots fertilizers around?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My mioya took around a year to reach approx. 20cm after going through several melting process. I have since trim off the old leaves. The new leaves are much more nicer and more reddish. I used load of root monsters near the roots.

You need lot of patience growing crypt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    would tetra's initialsticks count as root fertilisers? i think i have a box of them lying around somewhere or should i use something like Ferka's Rosetta?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lorba
    Terence, why not scientific? Should be open to different school of taughts mah.

Science is a continuation of exploration, not necessary the real "fact". Results will be different in papers by different scientists, biologists, biased to what they assume and believe.

If there isnt enough scientific reasons to back it, why would there be so many roots fertilizers around?
    Ya ya, that's what I meant Meaning you can't be absolutely sure of anything. My meaning was misunderstood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hongrui
    would tetra's initialsticks count as root fertilisers? i think i have a box of them lying around somewhere or should i use something like Ferka's Rosetta?
    not sure of either as I have never use them before. so can't comment. I will let lorba do his sales pitch on Ferka's Rosetta.

Actually I'm quite interested in Ferka's Rosetta also. Expensive as compare to Root Monster?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you are interested in obtaining a crypt that is 25 cm in height, you can consider c.wendtii brown really mopnster in my tank last time. Grew about 10 cm in less than 2 mths prob a month +... that is one of the larger crypts la
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, most of the root fertilizers in the market are good. Its just the price, preferrence, ease of use and probably, slight differences in composition of nutrients.

I use a lot of root monster in the past. But this corn thing is big and bulky and is not easy to apply when you want to supplement a cluster of crypts. Especially some delicate species or when my balansae grew a thick layer of stony roots last time.

Jobe stick was popular for awhile, how come nobody using now?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by anttz
    not sure of either as I have never use them before. so can't comment. I will let lorba do his sales pitch on Ferka's Rosetta.

Actually I'm quite interested in Ferka's Rosetta also. Expensive as compare to Root Monster?
    I dont know what is good price for you. Rosetta is about S$20 for the 50 capsules bottle, meaning you can cover more area, but probably less concentrated compared to root monster. The capsules dissolves and the powder inside is dispersed around the area.

For corn type root monster, i think it a ball of compressed slow release fertilizer that we find in th nurseries, any one knows?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lorba
    actually, most of the root fertilizers in the market are good. Its just the price, preferrence, ease of use and probably, slight differences in composition of nutrients.

I use a lot of root monster in the past. But this corn thing is big and bulky and is not easy to apply when you want to supplement a cluster of crypts. Especially some delicate species or when my balansae grew a thick layer of stony roots last time.
    I have the same problem with root monster on the crypts as well. Also the pain of removing and replacing them and the reason why I'm considering other root fert. The Ferka capsules and powder will dissolves right? Meaning no need to remove them just add new one monthly?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by anttz
    The Ferka capsules and powder will dissolves right? Meaning no need to remove them just add new one monthly?
    Yeeap.