Country
    Singapore

RTL growing very tall

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Would like to seek some help for the above mentioned. I carried out water change once every two wks.

Tank
    2X1X1 ft

Light
    72PL

Fertilizer regiment
    alternate between E15 and V30 as describe and A1.
    nitrogen and phosphorous and K from Seachem, 1.5ml twice weekly

Is there any other nutrient that the tank is lacking which caused my RTL to grow to the water surface?

Any suggestion is deeply appriciated.

Regards
    Siang Chaw

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ib have read from previous posts that others cut the leaves off to induce smaller and shorter leaves not sure about it though. You can try but dont cut too many at a time
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    New leaves will always try to grow above the older leaves to get more light. The trick is to trim off the tallest leaves... but as Phillipians said, make sure you leave 2 or 3 medium sized leaves intact. You will probably have to keep trimming every 1 or 2 weeks, but it's easy to trim.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you for the reply

Will take note on that. Was at Nature this afternoon and spoke to Mr Chan about it, but according to him, my tank may be lacking in some nutrient but I didn't manage to talk to him in details as the shop was quite busy today. So, can anybody shed some lights into what nutrients is lacking? I also notice that my Japonica Blyxia isn't growing well too..

Regards
    Siang Chaw

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm i doubt the reason for your RTL growing tall is because of nutrients, it could be light btw whats the wattage for your tank and the tank specs? and also whats happening to the japonica? leaves turning brown? if so , either lack of light or iron. Do you dose your tank?
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm went up to re read your post realised that well your tank light specs is rather ok, sufficient. So dont worry about it, i think its your dosing regime, do you dose Fe, i m not sure what is the stuff you are dosing now, but check whether there is sufficient Fe in your tank

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think it's a lack of nutrients. Rather, I think it's a natural thing for the plant to do? I've seen RTLs with leaves floating on the surface and emersed flowers and all that. Although I've never grown a RTL before, I'm pretty sure that it happens to everyone who grows a RTL.

Of course, I can be wrong

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have had one before but it did not grow to the extent of reaching my 1.25 ft ht tank. after 1 mth plus it was only like a little more than half a ft. anyway try out the other method, trim off some of the higher growing leaves than see what happens shouldnt be a prob.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    waterlilies (which is what the so called "tiger lotus" really is) have two kinds of leaves and these are morphologically different. one is meant to float and have waxy coating on the top to prevent drying, whereas submersed leaves would dry if you leave them out o the water.

you can see both type of leaves here (scroll down the replies there is one showing both submersed and floating leaves, and another showing underside of the floating leaves, see page two for the flowers) http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ead.php?t=9062
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica