Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: im a newbie with a small attempt with 560 L tank

im a newbie with a small attempt with 400 L tank....please comment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi freinds
    ...i recently tried my hand setting up a big tank previously i had a smaller tank..here im posting a few pics of it help me make it better..im really new to setting up such a tank but i am learning ,,,the place where i live i cannot find any nice planst or moss or grass in any local shops ..what do i do ..suggest me ideas!!

its 3.5 ft *2 *2 ft tank
    20 w hitachi tubes 2
    double length submersible filter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by loveraj007; 24th Sep 2005 at 03:36.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by loveraj007
    hi freinds
    ...i recently tried my hand setting up a big tank previously i had a smaller tank..here im posting a few pics of it help me make it better..im really new to setting up such a tank but i am learning ,,,the place where i live i cannot find any nice planst or moss or grass in any local shops ..what do i do ..suggest me ideas!!

its 3.5 ft *2 *2 ft tank
    20 w hitachi tubes 2
    double length submersible filter
    hi loveraj007,

Welcome to AQ! First of all, the pic taken wasnt very clear, and to me it looks like a 2ft tank .. Regarding the hitachi FL tube u using..Is the Color temperature correct? To me hitachi mainly manufacture household lighting which is insufficient for plant.. hmmm...do you lived in singapore?

hi micheal
    thanks for replying...i will try taking some neater pictures again today and post u ... and the tubes are hitachi f20t10/br aquarium lights preheat type. the color temp are correct only i have crosschecked it on internet..if u know more plz let me know. and regaurding the size how do i make the picture appear the correct size in photoes? im really new to this plz help
    i am from india ...a city called hyderabad..im a final yr student doing medicine ..
    thanks
    raj
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ!

for a start your substrate seems to be coral chips which is unsuitable for a planted tank. Your lights; 40watts for a 3.5ft tank is definitely not enough

here's are links to FAQ on setting up--
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ead.php?t=4036

and the help request FAQ
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=12704

fill in the information on your tank and the bros will be able to help you out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just thought I would point out that your 3.5x2x2ft tank is at most 400L, not 560L as in your subject line. (Assuming you top up to the brim, and have nothing else in your tank...)
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Loveraj,
    Welcome to AQ, there might be some misconception there with your tank. First the substrate, err..is alittle off, you might wanna try lapis for planted tanks. The coral would have to go too. You might wanna consider changing some of the fishes too, they are not very friendly to plants.
    Don't worry about newbie or whatever, just post the questions you need to ask. I'm sure you'll get your answer, the brethren here are quite helpful( just be polite )
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_1971
    Just thought I would point out that your 3.5x2x2ft tank is at most 400L, not 560L as in your subject line. (Assuming you top up to the brim, and have nothing else in your tank...)

i thought capacity of tank is calculated by 3.5 * 2 * 2 divided by 27 multiplied by 1000 L per cubic metre...and so i got the value of 500 and odd litres ....i was wrong ... please tell me who shud we calculate the capacity of the tank ...
    thank you
    kranthi raj

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i thought capacity of tank is calculated by 3.5 * 2 * 2 divided by 27 multiplied by 1000 L per cubic metre...and so i got the value of 500 and odd litres ....i was wrong ... please tell me who shud we calculate the capacity of the tank ...
    thank you
    kranthi raj
    Hi raj,

1 feet is equal to 30.48cm

you should calculate --> 3.5(30.48 ) x 2(30.48 ) x 2(30.48 ) / 1000
    you will get 396.436 litres.

Cheer

thanks a lot ...so aquarium is around 400 litres capacity

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes..ur capacity is 396 litres (104.8 US gallon).. Ur 2 x 20watt is insufficient..you should aim 3 watt per gallon..currently u only got 0.4 wpg..which is farly away from 3wpg...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hirowen
    yes..ur capacity is 396 litres (104.8 US gallon).. Ur 2 x 20watt is insufficient..you should aim 3 watt per gallon..currently u only got 0.4 wpg..which is farly away from 3wpg...

cheers
    hi micheal
    how do i keep 5 tubes it will take whole lot of place and i dont think i can keep more than three tubes in my hoood of the aquarium..wat do i do ??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You have adjust yourself, in terms of number of light bulbs and wattage. At least get 2wpg. 3wpg is good, but if you can't manage stuff well, algae happens very fast.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi micheal
    how do i keep 5 tubes it will take whole lot of place and i dont think i can keep more than three tubes in my hoood of the aquarium..wat do i do ??
    hi raj..

actually i not quite sure the fish shop in India..here is some ways to solve ur problems :

1.) DIY your own light set

2.) Buy new light set..which is suitable for planted tank..(PL/FL) Or Metal halide

3.) use back ur hood but fully utilize it..used 3 higher wattage of FL..and keep low light plant, like crypts, nanas, fern, java moss etc..u can click here for more information

As per what terrence said, when u have upgrade ur lightset, try to act in more plants so as to compete with algae..

cheers,