Images
    Country
    Singapore

My 4ft Pleco Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My 4ft Pleco Tank setup. No plant (unfortunately) and only driftwood formation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks very moody (in the good sense). Was it your original aim not to have plants at all? I dare say a few clumps of mosses and bolbitis ferns would do well in that current. Your tank would be great for loaches and hillstream loaches too! Also twig plecos!

How about a few Hatchetfish or red-eyed tetras (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae) as dither fish? They stay close to the surface, don't mind the current and make a shiny contrast.

If you want something more exciting, go Cichlids Forever and get a couple of those toothy payaras or vampire tetras (Hydrolycus scomberoides)....

Pardon the ideas... just me projecting my own fantasies onto your setup.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Looks very moody (in the good sense). Was it your original aim not to have plants at all? I dare say a few clumps of mosses and bolbitis ferns would do well in that current. Your tank would be great for loaches and hillstream loaches too! Also twig plecos!

How about a few Hatchetfish or red-eyed tetras (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae) as dither fish? They stay close to the surface, don't mind the current and make a shiny contrast.

If you want something more exciting, go Cichlids Forever and get a couple of those toothy payaras or vampire tetras (Hydrolycus scomberoides)....

Pardon the ideas... just me projecting my own fantasies onto your setup.
    Great advice !! Initially, I tried to keep some plants but it went everywhere in the tank because of strong current (many filters and strong powerhead). Therefore, decided to go only with driftwood.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a 3ft pleco tank with no substrate and they're doing great.
    The reason why i don't put substrates is because over the long term, the fish wastes will accumulate and cause hydrogen sulfide in the substrate (assuming no undergravel filter is used). To make matters worst the pleco food will be at the bottom of the tank and some of the little bits and pieces will bound to stay there which makes the accumulation of wastes in the gravel even faster.

I've come across quite a number of people putting gravel for their pleco tank and I'm curious why you want to do so given the trouble of having to vacuum the substrate regularly to reduce the wastes accumulation?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its a nice concept tank for doomsday .. if i may say so. .. in a complimentary note! I might just try it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe I'm not use to seeing bare tanks, except African cichlids's

A bit gloomly for my taste, to add on to budak's recommendations, some anubias spieces would liven up things

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Very nice gothic look... miss my royal panaque already...

nice to put some dangerous looking oddballs in there?
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    I have a 3ft pleco tank with no substrate and they're doing great.
    The reason why i don't put substrates is because over the long term, the fish wastes will accumulate and cause hydrogen sulfide in the substrate (assuming no undergravel filter is used). To make matters worst the pleco food will be at the bottom of the tank and some of the little bits and pieces will bound to stay there which makes the accumulation of wastes in the gravel even faster.

I've come across quite a number of people putting gravel for their pleco tank and I'm curious why you want to do so given the trouble of having to vacuum the substrate regularly to reduce the wastes accumulation?
    As I wanted a more-nature-looking Pleco's display tank.
    The cleaning is cut down to only changing of water weekly. I strategically placed a few powerhead and outlet of filter that helps to reduce the accumulate of wastes. In this tank, they're 7 Royals Pleco in there..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I really like the dark and mysterious feel to it. Plecos love tanks like these.

How about more close up shots?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?