Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Amount of CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Gd morning everyone. Yesterday I did an experiment with my gf tank. The plants in it were already bubbling. When i increased the CO2 rate, the plants bubble even faster and this question pops up in my mind. Does it really matter to raise the CO2 levels to jus below the point where the fishes surface to gasp for air or do i just stop at the point when the plants start to bubble? I would like to know how you folks determine the sufficient amount of CO2 in your tank; test kits? fish gasping for air method or plants bubbling method? Now I jus stop at the point where the plants bubbles. Will increasing CO2 aid in better results or what can i expect from an increase in CO2 other than topping up more often
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi YH,

I believe forumers here use pH-kH method to measure their CO2 level in there aquarium. Try to target 25-30ppm of CO2 level in your aquarium.

cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yap, test kits method is a better option.

Fish gasping for air method is not recommended as it will be risky for your fishes.

Plants bubbling method is also inaccurate because bubbling only occur in plants that are injure or only in a few species.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, so am i right to say that it is optimum at 30 ppm or is this the minimum requirement of CO2 needed?
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    20ppm to 30ppm is the optimum level for CO2

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most people keep theirs at 30ppm and above because this is the proven level of CO2 content in the water that can help ward off most algae problems.

Bubbling occurs when the oxygen in the water is highly saturated. Thus CO2 level can be sufficient even when there is no bubbling, since CO2 and oxygen are not mutually exclusive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kniveswood
    Bubbling occurs when the oxygen in the water is highly saturated. Thus CO2 level can be sufficient even when there is no bubbling, since CO2 and oxygen are not mutually exclusive.
    If your lighting is on the low side, you might not get intense pearling but perharps a bit here and there. O2 is a measure of plant production which is a good indicator. (Plants don't lie..test results do. Bear that in mind...just be careful not to go overboard with the CO2. You need to make sure your N,P,K,GH and traces are good or else cranking the CO2 will not give you the growth you want.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Most people keep theirs at 30ppm and above because this is the proven level of CO2 content in the water that can help ward off most algae problems.
    Hi squee, with regard to the above, does it mean that we can prevent algae from growing due to the high growth rate of our plants or do u mean that increasing CO2 can actually cause the algae to die off? Other than BBA, are there any other algae that can be killed by cranking up my CO2?
    thanks...
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i only noe that good co2 levels and distribution directly prevents BBA. But the rest i believe is because when plants do extremely well, they leave no room for algae growth,
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

2~3 bubble per second should be ok ~