Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Try Rao He and Hua Xi Jie Night Markets. Check my blog. They have in the winter time also.
    ok..no wonder i can't pm u,,i gt 3 hermit frm danshui,it smaller than wt i gt in sg.thk,i will update u guys if i can find any strawberrys.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what a fascinating topic... I wish I had the room. and the time to do maintenance to keep these critters...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loupgarou, you HAVE the room. Just maybe Muffin might wanna 'play' with them, though...

And they are relatively low maintenance creatures.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my idea of low maint is changing tank/clean up once in 2 weeks, maybe feeding once every 2-3 days.. like I do my fish. heh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm, then maybe they will suit you well.

I had not changed their substrate. Will probably do so annually or twice annually. No smell yet. Better to use a thin layer of fine sand. Less work.

And I usually feed them cut carrots/apples only once or twice a week. They can take a few days to finish the portion I feed them...

And the hardest part is topping up the water dish, which, depending on the size of the dish, will be once a day to once every 3-4 days. Before I shift the water dish to a new location, the crabs keep having the water drained and so I need to top uo daily. Now better liao.

So, low enough maintenance?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, if I see them in c328..

you mean to say really no water in the tank? I was think a 3/4 land, 1/4 wet, toss in some feeders/live fish + mudskippers.. haha..

a 3ft x 1/2 feet custom setup. placed on the dining table..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check to see if their legs are dropping off when buying them from the LFSs. They are usually kept in too wet a condition and the crabs are too stressed and legs start dropping off...

If you are using a 3ft tank, then I say your setup might do well. Just make sure that there are some parts of the land area remains DRY. Not even those that are damp. The crabs will stay there. You can use sand instead of gravel...

I kept them in a land+water tank before and it didn't work out. The substrate draws the water upwards to the land, keeping the land damp and wet. The crabs HATE that... But the tank was small and in a bigger tank, chances of having an area of DRY land is higher.

Have fun...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    c328 hermit r much bigger in size..huh,,mayb justikanz u can buy a sea sponge to soak inside ur water bowl for them,muz beta..no more spills ..cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    c328 selling hermit crabs again?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i went today..sold out,as them when comin n they reply nt sure ..
    u interested?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    C328 still sells when there are stock. But their shells are painted or very plain and dull coloured. Recently, they have purple-legged Coenobita brevimanus...

Bornwild, they seem to prefer drinking by scooping using the water using their claw... So far, after shifting the water dish, they had been good...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 31st Dec 2005 at 01:40.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah...interested.. keeping a lookout for my friend.. also considering to get for myself..
    let me know if you folks know of any stocks there... it's quite a distance for me to go to c328 haa.. can't go there every day to check it out haa..
    thanx

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    C328 still sells when there are stock. But their shells are painted or very plain and dull coloured. Recently, they have purple-legged Coenobita brevimanus...

Bornwild, they seem to prefer drinking by scooping using the water using their claw... So far, after shifting the water dish, they had been good...
    mostly they anyhow paint their shell..henderson rd fishshop 88 gt sell,it smaller than c328,some silimar to purple-legged but it blue in color if u look carefully.tat was ard last wk when i went ther..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah.. where's the exact location of this fishshop 88?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by avant
    ah.. where's the exact location of this fishshop 88?
    it at henderson rd.i nt sure abt e blk,,it oppsite blk 92 ,gt to cross over e road.i juz went ther today,condition of e hermit nt so gd ..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm... okay.. probably will give it a miss.. not too convenient to go there haa..
    thanks for the update!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

justinkanz..u left carrots n apples inside ur tank for days but it does nt attract any food flies or turn bad?does ur hermits change their shell yet?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Carrots are not a problem. Apples attract ants. That's why I was looking for a skink to eat them. But my room condition not good for skink, so did not go ahead.

So, need to look out for these pests and kill them when they appear.

Several of them molted, if that is what you are asking. 2 of them recently. Think maybe a couple more did that without me noticing.

I have an extra shell in the tank and some of them will be switching their shells because of that lor... 1 will swtich and another will switch with the one the first abandoned... But I had yet to see them physically do it...

Oh... Just a note, if anyone reading this have mealworms, do NOT feed them cabbage... They dun eat and it attracts small flies. *Yucks!*

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    small flies?? yes yes yes!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You are welcomed to my room and catch whatever insects free-flying/crawling, hiding etc. if interested... FOC.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast