Images
    Country
    Singapore

BBA growing on bogwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently i bought 2 bogwood and left it in the tank to get it to stay submerge cos it's now floating up but i've put a rock on them. After a few days i noticed that one of them which look like a "root" started to have BBA like algae growing on it only that it is brown in colour. It didn't take long b4 the whole thing is covered with the "algae". The other bogwood is not affected accept that the day b4 yesterday I noticed that the other bogwood has 2 spots of the "algae" growing on it! I've just washed it and it just comes off very easily unlike BBA which got to use toothbrush to scrape than can come off. I've got driftwood and nothing like that has ever happened b4.

Will be setting up a planted tank soon in the same tank and using the 2 bogwoods but i'm wondering what it is and whether it is contageous? Would appreciate if anybody can help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know if it's really bba, but better to go through these 2 bog wood with hot water before putting them into the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't think it's BBA cos i put it over running water and it just comes off unlike the BBAs i've encountered. I think it's probably got to do with the bogwood itself cos only one of them is like that. The 2 bogwoods belong to 2 different types of wood and the one that has this problem has a "root" smell to it b4 i put it in the tank. Could the wood be giving out a kind of chemical which attract or cause this "algae" like thing to grow on it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably some fungus or diatom algae. You can consider boiling the stuff or soak it in a pail for several weeks (do change the water every couple of days.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee