Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Bactiria Bloom ....AAAgggrrhh!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bactiria Bloom ....AAAgggrrhh!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I juz set up a 2.5 ft planted tank..i started of using aged water..did water change of 50% after 5 days.. then i noticed water become cloudy 3 days ago so i did another 50% water change... now becoming more cloudy...i presume its bacteria bloom... so im wondering wat i should do..my lights? CO2?... Filter?...how do resolve this quickly...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dun really think co2 and light play a big part for bacterial bloom unless it's a algae bloom...

bacteria bloom simply means the good bacterial in ur tank has not colonize yet...haven form up yet i think....

can try dosing liquid bacterial like Nutrafin Cycle to speed up the bacterial form up process...try search for old threads, guess there are a lot of info u can get from there, cos the last time i thought i kanna, i read up a lot, in the end it's Algae bloom instead....jialat..
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's a bacterial bloom, there's nothing you can do but wait it out, till your ttank gets cycled. Search the forums too for more answers

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's bacteria bloom, which sounds like it is since you have a newly set up tank, your best course of action is to get some old gravel from a matured, cycled tank to seed the bacteria in your gravel.

If you can get live mulm (fish shit and dirt siphoned from the gravel and kept alive by aeration while you transport it home) You can use that to "shit" (seed) your filter.

This, plus dense planting, introduction of a small school of fish and immediate fertilisation IME is way cheaper and faster to get the tank's bacteria colony started and thus "cycled" than any of the commercial preparations.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And to add to my last post... if your tank is a matured cycled tank, add some woodshrimps. You might have fed something that stimulated the bacteria bloom. I can stimulate a bloom in mine by feeding boiled, mashed sweet potato.

Remember, use woodshrimps, not the giant cameroon armoured shrimp. Woodshrimps fan up and eat the bacteria making the water clear. Armoured shrimp (Atyopsis gabonensis) will fan up the bacteria, then start digging up the substrate for more bacteria. And even after feeding them with sinking pellets, "they" (to be fair, I should say mine) still will dig up the substrate like it want to show off its strength or something This will become counter productive as the mulm will be stirred up.

Mine's like a poorly behaved son. But what to do, I love it so it stays, doing what it likes... Lord have mercy.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't change so much water. I'm getting bacteria blooms and nitrite spikes after 50% water changes nowadays on my newer tanks. I'm doing gradually larger water changes per week... so far I've reached 20% water change without problems.

What media are you using in your filter? And what filter are you using?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you so much for the input... I juz add nutrafin concentrated biological supplement and ocean free super crystal clear this morning...only slight improvement observe... theres only 10 neon tetras inside ...still surviving... so wat do i do next. my filter is an IOS undergravel.
    Remember, use woodshrimps, not the giant cameroon armoured shrimp. Woodshrimps fan up and eat the bacteria making the water clear. Armoured shrimp (Atyopsis gabonensis) will fan up the bacteria, then start digging up the substrate for more bacteria. And even after feeding them with sinking pellets, "they" (to be fair, I should say mine) still will dig up the substrate like it want to show off its strength or something This will become counter productive as the mulm will be stirred up
    Lawrence, Where do i get this wood shrimps.. never heard of it..how does it look like?
    ...one more point to add.. after the first water change i actually added anticholorine...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wink

undergravel....hmm...i nv had a problem using UGF last time...though i gave up recently and converted to canister.....

for undergravel, ur gravel bed will be where ur bacterial colony habours...(as we know UGF works well for biological filtration). so i guess it'll take some time to settle down ur tank using UGF...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wood shrimp

hi bro.
    wat is wood shrimp?
    can post so pic? where can i get this shrimp?
    regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So all i have to do now wait??...cause not much improvement as yet. When is the next time i should change my water?...How often can i add the ocean free super crystal clear?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is this how the wood shrimp look like? If so where can i get them?..How many of them should i get for my 2.5ft tank?...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by flyx
    Is this how the wood shrimp look like? If so where can i get them?..How many of them should i get for my 2.5ft tank?...
    Flyx,

You should be patient and wait for the cycling of you tank to be done, see my earlier posts again on how to. Putting the woodshrimp into an uncycled tank is like putting it into hot water -- sure die one.

Take appropriate measures to get the filter BB good and well grown and you will not even need to get a woodshrimp unless you like the creature. With a good filter BB colony, you will get very clear water. BTW, on a newly cycled tank, the woodshrimp can starve to death because there is insufficient micro-organisms for it to eat. So be patient on that.

Resist the urge to start adding livestock. Just a few feeder fish will do till cycling is over.

Ask around for an ammonia and a nitrite testkit. Most people will not need theirs once they have cycled their tanks and will be glad to help you out on that. Test to make sure it both reads Zero (nil) ammonia and nitrite.

When your nitrite reads zero even after adding fish, you'll notice your water is clear -- because the filter bacteria is doing its job.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you so much, will stick to ur advice. My tank is still cloudy, cant see the background. Do i still have to on my lights and do any water change or juz wait till the water become clearer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My tank is still cloudy, cant see the background. Do i still have to on my lights and do any water change or juz wait till the water become clearer.
    Since you have a planted tank, let the lights come on, 10 hours a day. Also ensure you have enough plants in there (you can remove them later when tank stabilised). Add ferts and CO2.

I'd put in about 10 pots of regular cheap cabomba OR 3 big water hyacinths (Eichhornia crassipes) in addition to what you have unless you already have a densely planted tank (meaning no space liao). I'd not bother to take the cabomba out of their rockwool pots. Just line them up at the back (no need to plant in sand) just like in the LFS. If you think it's ugly, hide the view of the pots with rock or driftwood.

Wait till your ammonia and nitrite measure zero, then add some more fish. Wait and test again... PATIENCE my brother, these two -- ammonia and nitrite must read zero. You must give the tank time to react, so be patient. No use hurrying it with gadgets, chemicals, "imagined" creatures that people say will help, water change, etc. Diligently grow your bacteria instead. The fastest way is to get donor bacteria (fish shit) from a kind forumer with a "healthy" tank to add to your filter. Your 10Neon tetras can stay put.

You can do small (30%) water change weekly if you want, your new water should be treated with anti-chloramine before you pour it in.

Patience my brother.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When I started off with my new 3ft tank with everything new, I did experienced the cloudiness due to the bacteria bloom. Like what everyone is saying patience is the key. My tank cloudiness lasted for 6 solid weeks, not even able to see through half the tank depth

I do think it is due to the bacteria unable to colonize/settle onto your filter media, but is in your water column.

For my case I did an experiment, I added a powerful 600L/hr internal filter(already have a canister filter hooked up) to suck up the bacteria, tank started to clear out within half day. Stop the internal filter cloudiness was back. So I concluded my canister filter was under-sized, and ended up buying another new filter . Just one of my encounters, hope this helps.

Regards
    Chan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Juz wondering, so if i replace 50% of the water frm the water in my luohan community tank, will it help to clear the cloudiness faster?..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha....good suggestion, can try it out and let us know...personally i feel it may not work....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by taz_boy
    haha....good suggestion, can try it out and let us know...personally i feel it may not work....
    I tried...think its werking..keeping my finger cross... i did 50% water change wif the water in my LH community tank last nite and added nutrafin cycle again.. now about 18 hrs has pass by and it seems much much clearer....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried...think its werking..keeping my finger cross... i did 50% water change wif the water in my LH community tank last nite and added nutrafin cycle again.. now about 18 hrs has pass by and it seems much much clearer....
    congrats if that works....
    meanwhile dun change water too often...cos everytime u change so much water, u are also trying to remove those good bacterial which are forming up...
    so now just wait for the whole cycling process to complete

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by taz_boy
    congrats if that works....
    meanwhile dun change water too often...cos everytime u change so much water, u are also trying to remove those good bacterial which are forming up...
    so now just wait for the whole cycling process to complete

Yup yup yup...will do that ....am satisfied wif the outcome so far..