Images
    Country
    Singapore

Advise to grow HC

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I will be setting a new 4x2x2 tank in abt a mth time.

Thinking to get HC from Teo but duno how to grow it as a foreground. Had try Hairgrass, Glosso and App but only failed badly to grow with HC.

Pls give me some wonder tip because I think HC is very expensive and hoping that i could successfully grow on my new setup with DW on the Taiwan moss.

By the way, Can also advise me on ADA or Danerill (can remember the spell) soil to use. which is a better choice. Lapis sand it out as i had try it .

HC brothers, kindly give me your advise and tips pls.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm using lapis mix with amazoian. my HC are all growing very well. most importantly is your lighting and water temp. ample co2 is also required

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they are slow growing, so if you are thinking of starting with little as foreground, you might be alittle disappointed.
    Also, have a large plant mass if u intend to go high light, for it might cause an algae boom.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hi mecedes,

there's a few ways to grow this as carpet.
    for me...if you buy it as tubs[like from tropika] just remove it rinse a little. put into area you want to plant and sprinkle some gravel on top to make it sink.

if you have limited budget you can use same method but in smaller cubes [stretch it lightly to increase it's area size!]and plant them apart.

in time the plant will creep and fill up the blanks...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, my HC is growing surely but slowly. The main reason is ample dosing... lights (need not be too high though) and co2. Temperature at 28 degrees, achievable through fan, is sufficient. Yup and ADA is good is you have enough $$$. And like what the rest said, it grows real slow... for 4x2x2, get a few lawns and plant it in batches so apart so that in a few months it should creep and fill up the space
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lapis or ADA or Dennerlle, it does matter but to a certain extend.
    If your using Lapis gravel, make sure that you are dosing quite "richly" in the water column with liquid fertilisers.

I favour ADA, so it goes for me.
    Ample CO2, fertilisation and cool water helps
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually I think seasoned Lapis is the best. ADA is ok to a certain extent. Yes, it brings the pH down. For my 2nd tank, I have never measured its pH but it is doing well with lapis.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by standoyo
    hi mecedes,

there's a few ways to grow this as carpet.
    for me...if you buy it as tubs[like from tropika] just remove it rinse a little. put into area you want to plant and sprinkle some gravel on top to make it sink.

if you have limited budget you can use same method but in smaller cubes [stretch it lightly to increase it's area size!]and plant them apart.

in time the plant will creep and fill up the blanks...

I didn't buy it in tub. Get it from Teo. Is it the same plant (HC). Just sprinkle some ADA soil on top to make it sink..........Frankly, i did the method and a few days it turn brown slowly die of natural death.

I tried to find the cause. I am thinking that it could be the fishes:- Altum Angel.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    they are slow growing, so if you are thinking of starting with little as foreground, you might be alittle disappointed.
    Also, have a large plant mass if u intend to go high light, for it might cause an algae boom.
    My light 2 nos 4x36 PL.

When I had a full grow glosso in my tank, someone told me that having 2 ft ht using PL light might not penetrate to the base after abt 2 to 3 mths. So it is best to use a fluroscent tube, it also help to lower in some extent of the water temp.

My guess is the HC and glosso are a light demand plant. Hope I am right.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aCe^bOwleRz
    Lapis or ADA or Dennerlle, it does matter but to a certain extend.
    If your using Lapis gravel, make sure that you are dosing quite "richly" in the water column with liquid fertilisers.

I favour ADA, so it goes for me.
    Ample CO2, fertilisation and cool water helps
    Just ADA soil. Is there other base fert that needed?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hi mecedes,
    i've often noticed shock with plants in new environment...i let it float for a few days before planting[depending on plant's condition-worse longer] this way the damaged roots/leaves while handling can be removed[manually or by shrimps or fishes]. less rot...and healthy roots are longer[easier to plant for glosso]

same goes for hc?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually my hc grows quite fast. within 3 weeks it grows almost the full lawn le.

if u got the $$, there is actually a method that helps it to grow faster. use PFLANZENGOLD 7. after i start dosing, i think the growth is damn fast. the growth is like damn fast. pity i didn't took any photo of the growth rate

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey
    actually my hc grows quite fast. within 3 weeks it grows almost the full lawn le.

if u got the $$, there is actually a method that helps it to grow faster. use PFLANZENGOLD 7. after i start dosing, i think the growth is damn fast. the growth is like damn fast. pity i didn't took any photo of the growth rate
    That's dennerle, correct? not cheap lol
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, it's from denerrle. it is supposely to enhance plant growth

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey

May i know where do U get your HC from . Can you sell me some to start or any brother can help ? I will use Gold 7.

THanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I give up on HC.

It's been about two months since I bought mine. I've seen growth, but the growth is slower than the staghorn algae that's now dominating them. From a 10x10cm patch, I've now a probably 5x5cm patch or less.

ADA Africana soil, CO2, 36W lighting, fertilising through EI. Nanas crypts and Cyperus Helferi are growing, but not this plant. People have told me that by now, I should have a full foreground.

=/ I hate the taste of failure. It has to be something I'm doing wrong. The staghorn is totally unremoveable without uprooting the plugs of HC. Guess if I want to I've to start all over again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    I give up on HC.

It's been about two months since I bought mine. I've seen growth, but the growth is slower than the staghorn algae that's now dominating them. From a 10x10cm patch, I've now a probably 5x5cm patch or less.

ADA Africana soil, CO2, 36W lighting, fertilising through EI. Nanas crypts and Cyperus Helferi are growing, but not this plant. People have told me that by now, I should have a full foreground.

=/ I hate the taste of failure. It has to be something I'm doing wrong. The staghorn is totally unremoveable without uprooting the plugs of HC. Guess if I want to I've to start all over again.
    Hi Squee,
    Like you, i had also failed many times. This new set up, I will try to ask all brothers that been of expert with HC.

Pls advise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    sometimes it's the failures that leads us to become 'experts'...haha...i've failed with hc 3 times also...i can't say i'm expert though [can be termed not beginner la ]
    but at least the plant is growing and spreading...slooooowly...arrghh! that's why i'm hunting like you for stocks to help it cover lawn...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can anyone post some nice HC lawn pics and give some stats..?? I would like to attempt HC as my glosso failed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, glosso is easier than HC. You might want to look into how come glosso failed.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast