Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: if you have brown algae, read this…

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    halamak, I never even measure siaz
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yes... The horned and the zebra snails helped me removed all traces of brown and green encrusting algae! I would recommend at least 1 small horned snail in each tank to prevent such algae now... But they lay those sesame seed eggs which can be ugly and difficult to rid... So, double edge sword...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Oh yes... The horned and the zebra snails helped me removed all traces of brown and green encrusting algae! I would recommend at least 1 small horned snail in each tank to prevent such algae now... But they lay those sesame seed eggs which can be ugly and difficult to rid... So, double edge sword...
    Ditto here, and mine's the plain black horn type, not Choy's fancy patterned one. To TB Ben I go. Guys, don't buy up all of them. leave some for me.

These are effective creartues especially when you consider that they clean BBA and GSA from leaves without damaging it. The eggs of mine never hatch -- they get eaten up in a few days. Though I wouldn't have minded it propogating in my tank one bit.

But mine seem to grow to around 8mm size, then they seem to be too weak to right themselves after a fall. Never happen to the younger ones though. Why ha?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun worry, C328 also has stock... The black ones are very effective... and yes, they might not be able to right themselves very fast after a fall and are easy prey for curious fish like bettas...

Think their young need brackish water or salt water to grow... Hey, what ate the eggs? Recommend? The 'sesame seed eggs' can be a nuisance sometimes...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not sure what ate the eggs but they don't stay on the leaves very long. I've got Harlequin rasboras, lampeyes, Yamatos and a khuli loach. one of them must have been the culprit
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have all those fauna you mentioned...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Feed lesser and see what happens?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Won't want to take the risk of them foraging among the newly planted APP and attack the cherry shrimps that I HOPE will establish in the Java moss mass...

Dun worry, C328 also has stock... The black ones are very effective... and yes, they might not be able to right themselves very fast after a fall and are easy prey for curious fish like bettas...

Think their young need brackish water or salt water to grow... Hey, what ate the eggs? Recommend? The 'sesame seed eggs' can be a nuisance sometimes...
    Hi Justikanz

Do barbs eat this type of snails?

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure leh... Some may do so, esp when overturned... Cherry barbs are ok. I had them with the snails... Would not know for more active barbs eg. tiger...

For other fishes, my bettas will make a meal out of the smaller ones when they dun right themselves after some time... Someone reported that his loach MIGHT be eating his snails...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the eggs are from Zebra snail and not Horn snail.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Both will... I had tanks with only the horned or only the zebras and the same type of eggs appear...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Ok, i've got 1 tiny bugger like the one in the pic a few days back, since i was convinced by this thread.
    The result?

Amazing, this bugger cleans brown algae up like its the last meal on earth (possibly might be at the rate my tank is going )
    All Men Die . . . . Few Actually Live.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by xxdivinityxx
    Amazing, this bugger cleans brown algae up like its the last meal on earth (possibly might be at the rate my tank is going )
    I'm sure it will be helpful and useful in my tank
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. interesting snail. Nice pattern too. How much do they cost?

Anyway, Otos and twig catfish also do as good a job, except for tiny and hard to reach areas.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny,
    They cost around $1. Those at Ben's shop are all sold out. You might want to check out C328.

I noticed the recent batches are all very tiny - 6~7mm In the past they used to be around 12~15mm.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Both will... I had tanks with only the horned or only the zebras and the same type of eggs appear...
    Interesting, my tanks with only Horn snails do not have eggs. Only those with Zebra snails have eggs everywhere.

I would expect the Horn snail eggs to be much smaller

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... My horned were bigger than those on sale currently, bought them like more than 6 months ago... And they are the black ones... Could they be different? Hmm...

Benny, C328 has the fancy yellow and black ones... And think NA has them now also...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Benny,

NA selling khor puah.
    Lol cannot declare price openly.
    All Men Die . . . . Few Actually Live.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    "alamak!" I think I am late for the snails. Tiong Bahru sold out? And where else? It seem like a Yamato-shrimp phenomena !!!

Will polish clean all brown algae, right? How about BBA and BGA?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast