Country
    Singapore

2ft update

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Please comment on my humble tank!

HC didn't work for me, so I'm going for glosso now. Crypts should grow thicker over time. Should I remove the black background for a better effect? I know, I know, should have removed equipment too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    very nice.. i'm am going to try to achieve something like that after my exams... but isnt the soil layer too thin... any fertiliser? equipment spoil a bit lah.. haha... black background is pretty cool i think... like nite life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey its looking great! black blackground gives the scape a nice feel to it, i think there is no need to remove it

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys

Sidious, the soil layer got cropped off when I took the pic. It's actually about 5 cm in the front, extending all the way back to about 10 cm, in the back left corner 15cm to create the mound the Anubias Nanas are standing on. Fertilisers are loose ferts(KNO3, KH2PO4, Seachem Equlibrium, Traces) with JBL Aquabasis as base fert.

seagul, but what if a white background gives it a better feel? But anyway, thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi squee! Great-looking tank! IMHO the black background looks fine, allows the plants and scape to stand out better. Is it oyama paper? Messy to remove? (never tried before)

Keep us posted! When your glosso grows in it should look fantastic.

[Afternote: hmm - maybe a white background will work well too - did a quick search and saw this Amano tank - looks like a meadow on a sunny day.]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Where are the crypts that you bought?
    Sorry Terence, can't comment on scape as I have much to learn on how to analyse.

I still prefer White background (Oyama paper)
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll let the Glosso spread and see if the Oyama can be removed for a better effect; it's a pain to paste Oyama paper

Izzat, the crypts are in another tank, a non-CO2 one that I'm trying out (not going so well).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|

HC didn't work for me, so I'm going for glosso now. Crypts should grow thicker over time. Should I remove the black background for a better effect? I know, I know, should have removed equipment too.

This is a beautiful tank, love the scape!

I can't wait to see the foreground grow in. IMO the black background works well with this scape

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    squee, its beginning to look alot like a West African biotope tank (minus the crypts of course). Looking good so far.

The black background works with this scape so don't remove it. Are you using ADA Africana as the gravel?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Fei Miao and Jian Yang.

Yes I'm using ADA Africana, but rather old already. Most of it is mashed up I was wondering what the effect will be after the glosso sets in, so I posted up thoughts about the background colour.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just my opinion, I kinda dislike the colour of ADA Africana. In fact I prefer Amazonia. Makes some plants look nicer since its a dark greyish black in colour.

I have Africana in some tanks and I don't quite like the colour. Taking pictures becomes a problem because of the light brown colour of the gravel. And it comes out a little ugly when I edit the images.

It doesn't seem to go well with a dark driftwood. Probably the lighter brown bogwood works with Africana's colour.

That said, I found something peculiar. The 3 Aquasoil products are supposedly made of compressed clay pellets right? But I found some pretty big bits of normal gravel coated with the light brown colour of the gravel. The coat just washed away after some time. I'm wondering if these pieces of normal gravel were deliberately or accidentally added in during manufacturing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Stormhawk, I believe it's accidentally introduced into the soil. It's quite hard to look for it during the process of making the soil into what it is. I am sure they have steps to remove as much as possible but there will be some that refuse to be moved until you used the bag of ADA soil.

|squee|, I too find out that HC is very hard to keep. I am using ADA Amazonia and with chiller too to keep temp low. The ones I bought from Aquarama 2005 has been nearly decimated by the yamato in my mom's shrimp tank.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Terence,

I love your black background.
    May I know what you used to create that background? And how you did it? Very new to aquascaping, and not sure how to to it.

Quote Originally Posted by |squee|

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jian Yang, yea the colour screws up my camera sometimes I think. It's a point and shoot, so not that desirable. I'd definately go with Amazonia too.

valice, welcome to AQ

I used something called Oyama paper, it's a sticker-like thing that is pasted at the back of the tank. You can go to any well-stocked LFS and ask the owner for it, he/she should know.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Terence, same sentiment exactly. I'd go with Amazonia anytime too. But unfortunately, most of what the LFS has is usually Africana in stock. I don't see Amazonia that often and Malayana?.. that's even more harder to find.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Malayan... I've only seen it in NA once.

Maylan is a worse looking colour imho

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Did some checks online and yes, its another light brown type. Not very nice either.

My all-time favourite is still Amazonia. The texture and colour comes out nicely in pictures. Africana tends to look alot like orange-brown when flashed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Did some checks online and yes, its another light brown type. Not very nice either.

My all-time favourite is still Amazonia. The texture and colour comes out nicely in pictures. Africana tends to look alot like orange-brown when flashed.
    Stormhawk, if you need ADA amazonia let me know. I might have source for it
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Terence,

What your plants specification for this tank
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey nic,

There's Anubias barteri var Nana all over, Cyperus helferi at the back, Taiwan moss on pebbles at the bases of the wood (those fuzzy looking areas), there's C.Wendtii/Beckitii on the right of the Cyperus, and finally there's Glossostigma as the foreground.

The wood colour is supposed to be more brownish, I have to work on getting the algae off =/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast