Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Calcium and Feeding

Calcium and Feeding

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys!

OK, just acquired myself a nice purple hairy mushroom and anchor coral! I added in a cube of bloodworms for the cleaner shrimps, and realised the anchor was actually trying to trap a couple of worms, but without success since the water flow is quite high. Just wondering if any of you feed your corals, and if you do, what and how do you feed them?

Also, how do you guys maintain Ca2+ levels in the tank? Anyone's using Kent's products, or Kalkwasser?

Thanks a lot !!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Hi Hong Yee,

What is anchor coral ?

[]

Hie,

It's Euphyllia ancora (can't remember the exact name ...) - something related to hammer coral. Anyway, I've just fed 3 of the 7 heads with small pieces of prawn and they gobbled it up!!! []

Damn .. realised kalkwasser is expensive here man. Some guys at reef forums recommended using pickling lime to do the job, but can't find any in Singapore.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just wondering if any of you feed your corals, and if you do, what and how do you feed them?
    Also, how do you guys maintain Ca2+ levels in the tank? Anyone's using Kent's products, or Kalkwasser?

----------------
    i feed my mushrooms mysis shrimps.. and they close up (apparently to eat the food) however, i only do that like once a week.. i use a syringe to squirt the mysis onto them.

i do weekly dosage of kalkwasser.. can be purchased from petmart[:]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hi guys,

I really don't know the classification of corals. I'm lost when you guys mentioned about hammer coral, mushroom....etc. So far I only know what is tube worm and got 2 in my newly set up tank. Oh ya, 3 more corals in my tank too but don't know what is their name.... never feed my corals. I just pour a liquid food for coral weekly, also don't know whether the corals got absorb the liquid or not.

I think I need you guys to give me some practical teaching in this areas. If you going to the aquarium, I may wish to join you guys too.[]

Hi,

Are those you have soft or hard corals? I would suppose liquid foods will benefit SPS corals more - those like Goniopora, Acropora and Montipora. The larger LPS corals seem to have huge mouths and I witnessed that when the silly anchor coral gobbled those shrimp up! The shrimp seemed to have done the coral good though - it's beginning to open up more these days.

Anyway, where do you live? Would love to talk to you anytime - just post to the forum or email.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Hi, living near Jurong Point (Boon Lay MRT). I frequent HL more..... Do you have any good website where they show picture of corals...[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try this
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Cannot open. What's the URL ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Kel,

Just got a bottle of SeaChem kalkwasser! How do you drip this thing into your tank? Right now I've mixed up a rather dilute solution in a small container with a tiny hole for it to drip.

Hope my corals and coralline algae will like it!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    how to have coralline algae ?[]

Comes with live rock

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just got a bottle of SeaChem kalkwasser! How do you drip this thing into your tank? Right now I've mixed up a rather dilute solution in a small container with a tiny hole for it to drip.
    i dump the stuff into my sump and let it do the work.. by right, u should mix it with saltwater b4 dosing it into your tank.. however, what i do is, dump them into the sump.. then i mix it there and then

Hope my corals and coralline algae will like it!
    Ivan, coralline algae usually comes with the live rocks.. but u can cultivate them with good water parameters and regular dosage of strontium, iodine, trace elements. Dosing of kalkwasser will provide the calcium that corals love, especially coralline algae and hard corals[]

Hi, for Kalkwasser, most of us use it as our top-off. We mix it using fresh RO/DI water for slightly better solubility, mixing it with our tank water may not be so good as we do not know how much excess carbon dioxide may be in it. Do not pour in the undissolved powder into your tank as that will help to precipitate calcium out of solution.

To be absolutly safe, you may wish to have a separate mixing container. Siphon out only the clear liquid and use a specialized drip bottle to slowly introduce the kalk into your tank. Do drip slowly because the pH is at 12 which may bump up your tank pH suddenly causing undue stress to your tank inhabitants.

Hope this helps!