Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 System

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all! I am new to planted tanks but would like to set up one by Christmas. I understand the importance of CO2 and had been going around looking for a full set, including a ph controller. There are very limited sets locally and some of these are very pricey! Am thinking of buying from USA via mail order. Can anyone recommend a good system available locally? Or has anyone bought a system mail order before? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ Ehlim!

1st off, what tank size are you looking to setup?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow... Thats going to cost U a bomb.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a good co2 system doesnt really require a ph controller, that would be additional bonus though. If you wanna get a good one, JBJ solenoid or a dupla brand one are the top of the line. But if normal solenoid + 3 l tank, prob set you back ar80 bucks. Depending on the brand of solenoid. ANd yes, what are the dimensions of your tank? INtending low tech or high tech tank?
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agreed.

Dun really need a pH controller.
    Just use the pH/kH/CO2 table to know the amount of CO2 in your tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The pH controller is useless imho. You want inject CO2 for the plants, not to maintain a pH value.

The normal regulator+solenoid+good dissolving equipment will do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks. I am looking at a 4' by 2' by 2' open tank, ie. without a hood. I am really confused. Some have advised that a ph controller is not necessary. Using a ph/kh table sufficed to calculate the amount of CO2 in the tank. Do we use probes to measure ph and kh? If yes, isn't it more expensive to buy these measurement instruments as compared to the purchase of a ph controller? I found a Milwaukee ph controller selling for US$90, excluding freight of US$35+, in a US online mail order service. Is anyone familar with the Milwaukee sys? Cheers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most of us don't use probes, we use cheap test kits. This is because just a close approximation of pH and kH is needed (take note that the pH/kH table is also a close approximation) to measure CO2.

I've no experience with a pH controller, but I do not like the fact that CO2 is not constantly delivered into the tank. Flunctuating CO2 levels ain't good, and if I'm right it will cause BBA as well, which is a PITA (pain in the ***).

But of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary) so it's ultimately up to you to choose. pH controllers must have worked for some people.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you dont have to be too precise of ph. The main thing is to ensure co2 ppm at 20-30 ppm. That is paramount for good plant growth. IMO, you dont even need to measure ph, that is for the initial setup phase. Make sure u take the necessary steps and precautions so that algae wont gain a foothold.
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    a ph controller will ensure that the tank ph will be precisely controlled. since the kh is constant (unless your tank has something which changes the kh value), the co2 level will be consistent. once the ph drops pass a certain preset limit (+/-0.1ph), co2 will be injected.

this is not a plug-and-play device. you’ll need to know the kh value of your tank to determine the ph value to set. after every water change, you’ll have to add carbonates to to maintain identical kh value as before. else, you’ll set the ph value in ph controller. the ph controller needs calibration to maintain its accuracy. after every 1-2 years, you’ll need to replace the ph probe.

a ph controller is not necessary, as shown by a lot of fellow aquarist who have maintained beautiful planted tanks without one. however, it is nice to have.

pay a visit to nature aquarium at thomson road, lfs at serangoon north, system & control engineering at boon keng. they have co2 sets that you are looking for.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can try NA and check it out, should have a set lower than 200 bucks for 3 l set with solenoid but not with the JBJ brand one, go for the UP brand heard its not bad