Images
    Country
    Singapore

Encapsulating your dead fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Err... Really dunno if this is the right place for this...

Some months ago, my friend went Medan and one of the stuff he bought back was a key chain with a dead tiger barb encapsulated in plastic. Saw such keychains in Singapore too, but usually with dead insects, spiders or scorpions... Anyway, he thought it was cool and pretty and thus is thinking of doing so for his Endler's when they die...

So, he is asking me to ask if anyone here knows of where this can be done professionally... Err... anyone knows?

Maybe we can also do so for our pretty (and sometimes expensive shrimps)...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Uhm... Ask around those tourist shops you usually see in the bigger hotels... Those with the insect plaques and mounted insects in their displays. They might be able to point you in the direction of their suppliers, who might be able to do it for you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They use a type of plastic resin that I worked with back in poly.

You can do it here but I forgot the company's name. I know in Malaysia though they tend to "encapsulate" small animals like scorpions and insects in this resin as decorative keychains.

Better still, contact the fellas from the Singapore Butterfly Group. Some of them know how to mount specimens for display and I think a few might know how to "encapsulate" our precious pets in this resin.

Calling for Green Baron, 'cause he's a member of the group.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, you need a type of resin and a mould. The mould can be anything from a shallow cup to anything that can hold the resin while it harden. Done it during my Secondary school technical class years ago.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Then can we find the resin?...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those art supply shops should have this resin available. But the smell that comes out during the process isn't very wonderful.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Those art supply shops should have this resin available. But the smell that comes out during the process isn't very wonderful.
    Ah... But I am not the one encapsulating the animals... Keke...

Thanks..