Images
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Wanted to try riccia tied to a wire mesh. can someone show me the different methods of doing it? prefer to have them as a lawn. i have 4 x 24 watt lights (2 jebo pl lights with 2 tube of 24 watt) for a 3 feet tank. is it enough lights? because with that light my glosso is crawling but at a very slow rate.

Bros here pls advise

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just went to Nature Aquarium the day before and saw this tank with a lawn of moss...which they say is a new type of moss...It's simply amazing. Maybe you can drop by to see.

btw from what I know riccia is high maintenance especially when you are going to have a lawn of it

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I've tried it by using Loh KL's moss wall method. Use two plastic mesh, sandwich riccia in between, tie it up and use pebbles/stones to weigh it down. You might want to try using smaller pieces of mesh, and rather like patchwork, piece each up side by side. Easier maintenence when you need to remove them for trimming, dont have to take out the whole lawn in one go. Too high a maintenence though IMHO.

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    been hearing alot of bros here saying abt plastic mesh. anyone got a pic of it??? the only 1 i can find r plastic net type of stuff very soft...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    plastic ones won't do, cos ur riccia mesh will float onto water....u must get a wire mesh...wrap around with soft netting....it does not work the same way as moss foreground where u just need to secure with fishing line...cos riccia are very small bits and pieces of plants...hence u need something to secure it...

see the pic attached...that's my tank with riccia in the middle, but i thinking of removing it soon as it is glowing damn slowly under my 2wpg tank
    Last edited by taz_boy; 5th Jan 2006 at 21:10.
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i see.. thanks for the advice. why yr tank look so cloudy???? the green water still not completely cured??? since u r removing yr riccia how abt telling me the size of them??? i'm interested

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfinder78
    i see.. thanks for the advice. why yr tank look so cloudy???? the green water still not completely cured??? since u r removing yr riccia how abt telling me the size of them??? i'm interested
    lol....also puzzled y still a bit cloudy...think green water cure liao...now maybe waiting to stabalize a bit....if i'm changing the riccia to moss i'll let u know...but dunno whether the riccia still alive or not...lol....just note, it can really get messy, cos my SAEs keep bitting the riccia bits and pieces off....u gotta clear ur water surface more often...
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Ahah, yup, plastic mesh would float, but I've also mentioned weighing it down with stones. Basically, mines like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mesh
    ############# riccia
    O O stone/pebbles
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mesh

Try to choose a flat(ish) stone and depending on how big one mat is, you can have one or several stones scattered around. Just make sure to tie the two mesh sides together properly, so stone wont move around. If you have a bulging stone, might be harder to tie mesh together. Each of my mat is about 5 x 5 cms, with a flat 2 x 2 cm pebble in the middle. Riccia grows through the top mesh. Mesh size 0.8 cm. To see pic of plastic mesh: Moss wall

I should post some pics soon.

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought small boxes with mesh-like openings for my riccia. They are difficult to secure espec. when "run over" by my algae eater & cory. Doing fine so far, just that growth is a little slow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have riccia wrapped by nets onto wire mesh. It looked good, but before long my Yamatoes were picking on the strands and it got really messy.

=(

gave it up all together.
    一天到晚游泳的鱼呀,鱼,不停游。。。

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfinder78
    been hearing alot of bros here saying abt plastic mesh. anyone got a pic of it??? the only 1 i can find r plastic net type of stuff very soft...
    u can find them in hardware stores. they come in various diameter for the holes. some are big and some are small. for riccia, i think you should look for the smaller ones.
    don't worry, be happy