Country
    Singapore

Angry A layer of oil on the surface of water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello to you..

I'm here just to ask if anyone encounter a strange problem just like me..
    You know, for the past one whole week, i've been wondering why there is a layer of oily appearance on the surface of my shrimp tank.

First, i tested the food which i'm feeding; is it that it caused the water to be oily, but, no. Nothing happened.
    Then, i tested on ice cubes. Because, everyday, i would throw in some ice cubes from my fridge.. After testing out, results still prove that, not ice cubes..
    Now, the last suspect is the fan. I'm not sure if it's the culprit. I said fan because of it's dust on the top of the fan which is accumulated through the months..

My tank is a shrimp tank. It's 2 months old already..
    Someone, please please help me...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi scotworm do you have any plants in your tank? It could be the biological film produced by plants
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lyh
    Hi scotworm do you have any plants in your tank? It could be the biological film produced by plants
    My 2 ft tank used to have this oily film too..I added a surface skimmer (approx $10) and it helps remove them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I 've had this before too scotworm. Also think its a bacterial film thing. I think I've read it in Tropica's website about their Aquacube product. They say this oily film may form, just do waterchange. I had it when I used laterite soil bought from garden center (they call it top soil), topped with gravel as a substrate. But disappeared miraculously after a few months.

Also had it when I put in some sandstone rocks found locally in the tank. Quite brittle and have some kind of orangy brown precipitate (iron i think). Took it out, no more oil.

Might want to look into what you've just put it this past week? New rocks? fertilisers? New plants?(seen it also in a lfs tank with red cabomba).
    Do water change or maybe install an overflow filter system, hehe.

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. Thanks a lot for sharing your views and experience with me, Friends..
    I have this tank with me for about 2 months.. So, you mean, it's produced by plants? Tell you what plants i have inside my tank. It's simple; java ferns and java moss.
    Another tank, christmas moss. Both tanks have the oily firm.

Only recently, both tanks had the oily firm.

A bit of my tanks' history. The BIG TANK, has been with me for 2months and it's the one with java moss and java ferns, only shrimps and NO fish.. The other one, been with me for only 1month, is planted with christmas moss and nothing else.. The fauna, shrimps also. And only recently, both of them are infested by this oily firm.

Any more views, please, please share and tell me.

Oh ya, centaurfly, what do you mean by surface skimmer??
    Do you have a picture of it? can you please tell me more?

lastly, reader,
    And can you please teach me how to upload pictures into this forum?
    I can upload my pictures so that you can view and understand my situation more..

Alvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure if we are referring to the same thing. But what about BW?

I used to have them too when i added some new DW into the tank. Was also told that addition of guppies or mollies can help to remove them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Platy would be a cheap and effective solution to remove the layer of 'oil' on your water surface. But then again, i wouldn't assure you that your shrimplets would be safe from these fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a layer of protein on the water surface - doesn't harm the fishes or shrimps. My shrimps actually hang upside down to consume it. Some forumers use a good quality tissue to absorb the layer, others skim it off - with a plastic spoon perhaps? Can install a skimmer if you want, but it's really not necessary.

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have this protein layer too... It is a by-product of the photosynthesis actions of the plants... And yes, mosses are good protein producers too, so are big-leaved plants like the swords... Use a surface skimmer, it helps... Or do manual surface skimming when changing water... I used to do that...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by scotworm
    Hmm.. Thanks a lot for sharing your views and experience with me, Friends..
    I have this tank with me for about 2 months.. So, you mean, it's produced by plants? Tell you what plants i have inside my tank. It's simple; java ferns and java moss.
    Another tank, christmas moss. Both tanks have the oily firm.

Only recently, both tanks had the oily firm.

A bit of my tanks' history. The BIG TANK, has been with me for 2months and it's the one with java moss and java ferns, only shrimps and NO fish.. The other one, been with me for only 1month, is planted with christmas moss and nothing else.. The fauna, shrimps also. And only recently, both of them are infested by this oily firm.

Any more views, please, please share and tell me.

Oh ya, centaurfly, what do you mean by surface skimmer??
    Do you have a picture of it? can you please tell me more?

lastly, reader,
    And can you please teach me how to upload pictures into this forum?
    I can upload my pictures so that you can view and understand my situation more..

Alvin
    hi alvin

attached is a picture and diagram of a surface skimmer. basic feature is to remove any particles/oily substances found on the surface of the water.
    Last edited by riccia; 9th Nov 2005 at 11:45.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also have this oily film on the surface of my pleco tank. Before i put fishes in, i had the tank running for a few weeks and you could see a very thin layer of film on the surface. Later when i add in the fishes, i also added some floating plants and the film seems to get worst or thicker now. Anyway i don't bother also.

Another alternative is to use an air pump to aerate and break the water surface.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    get top feeder fishes like mollies, platys or guppies...they can do the job...one or two is gd enuf....price is cheap and result is outstanding!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by centaurfly
    My 2 ft tank used to have this oily film too..I added a surface skimmer (approx $10) and it helps remove them.
    The Surface Skimmer removes organic film on the water's surface, and helps to improve oxygen exchange. Simply hook the skimmer up to the intake of your Filter and attach the unit with the two included suction cups.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup if i m not wrong its called protein. It isnt any prob really just that maybe it isnt aesthetically desirable but it doesnt do any harm in my tank though, both shrimps and fish are doing fine. Surface skimmer is the best solution if you can afford it
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have such layer too. I simply turn on my rain bars, think it helps a little, now it seems to be gone, "replaced" by duckweeds instead. Somehow i dont mind the present of these little weedies

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    all you need is a little more surface agitation and it should clear it up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSo
    all you need is a little more surface agitation and it should clear it up.
    Agree with Miso!
    A little surface agitation should solve your problem.
    You can do this by adding air pump to your tank or add a hang-on filter!
    However, surface agitation can cause the loss of CO2!
    Since you only have mosses and ferns in your tanks, which can do well little CO2, you can use a hang-on filter and you will never encounter this problem again!

My shrimp tanks with HG is doing fine with a hang-on filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for the late reply friends. Actually, i've read all the posts but i do not have time to reply. Thanks a lot to those whom had replied.

Thanks a lot for replying me all your thoughts and experience. Thank you.
    Now, i won't add any hang over as you told me that the oil firm is harmless to the aquarium. I'll just leave it there.

Thank you.
    ALvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi all

can a skimmer be attached to the Juwel tank set up where the filter is internal

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888
    hi all

can a skimmer be attached to the Juwel tank set up where the filter is internal
    as long as the hose of the surface skimmer fits the water inlet of your juwel filter, you can use it. which juwel filter are you using?
    don't worry, be happy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast