Images
    Country
    Singapore

Urgent advice on Xue Hua Cao, Hottonia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i have noticing that my hottonia has been withering at the leaves all the way to the base and they start to disintegrate. Is there some lack of nutrients in my tank. Previously my Arcuata had the same prob but its now better.

Tank specs
    2 x 1 x 1 . 5
    2 x 36w
    1.5BPS
    2026 eheim pro2
    ph less than 6
    substrate ADA amazonia
    dosing: 1/2 teaspoon of KNO3, MgSO4 every 3 - 4 days. Same frequency for Kh2Po4, just a tiny bit, 1/16 tsp, LGM 8 - 10 drops.
    Highmaintence tank:
    Tonina belem and Manaus
    Pantanal
    gratiola
    taiwan moss
    HC
    Hottonia

Sofar only hottonia has this prob, the rest of the plants are flourishing

Is it lack of calcium as i realise i do not have it in my dosing.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    dont be too eager to jump onto the calcium band wagon..
    do a fert calculation and post again how many ppm of each fert you dose WEEKLY..its very hard for pple to give advise when you say 3 tsp of this or 4 tsp of that.. its a differnt amount in a different tank...

Hottonia is an easy plant.. just give it lots of light and No3 basically...very basically..lol
    and always check your CO2 ppm as well.. it always manages to catch me unaware since i'm so sure..and tend to be overconfident.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok i ll chk it out, hmmm sorry can i ask, there is no difference in adding teaspoon directly and mixing first in another tub rite ? cos i usually premix them first b4 adding them in.
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    anyone knows if there is a calculator for PMDD? using Kno3, kh2po4, mgso4. And as the above, is there any diff when mixing them in first or just dumping the compound into the tank

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's the Fertilator.

Actually loupgarou should be able to help you, he has/had a 6ft tank full of Hottonia if i'm not wrong.
    Last edited by |squee|; 24th Oct 2005 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, Hottonia was not really an easy plant to begin with. It was only after conditioning by the original lfs source, that it was able to survive better in our tanks. When I first got the plant, it was still trying to acclimatise to the climate here. I did not have an easy time with the plant. It was often plagued with extremely slow growth, algae and rotted easily. It was only after a while before the plant got used to our climate. I believe the pioneer batch of people with the plants probably encountered the same situation as well. After this "generation", they respond well to most tanks here.

Basically, you need to ensure ample CO2, lights and sufficient nutrients. Like most stem plants, make sure they receive consistent amount of light and do not move them until they starts to "twitch" or grow in the direction of the light. Only when new shoots appear, will you be able to shift the plants around without fear of melting them. I would say to treat the Hottonia the way you treat the Tonina species.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks so much for the advice, i was wondering looking at my ppm range for the ferts, i hit the optimum for most,

14 ppm for K
    1.2ppm for P
    however, my Nitrate hits a staggering 20ppm !!!!! hmmm i dose with Kno3... half tsp for 20 gallon, 75L tank (2ft)

Hmmm for now the only possibility is the lights, my temp is from 26-28 degrees 72 W should be no prob...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    well..my experience differs from Kadios'.. being that this plant is growing like mad in my tank.. i've had it for about a year or more now and still... i've shifted it more than 20 times (no kidding..sometimes one week plant next week shift liao) in that time.. cut it.. grown it in realtively dark areas.. uproot and left it growing on the water..and put it thru weekly temperature shocks when changing water (my tank temp is 25..water change ususally puts it to 27).. and it still wont die, rot or melt.

You can use chucks nutrient calculator..its a sticky on the beginners site on useful links. With the amount of light you have, No3 at 20ppm okay..its not high at all, depending on what you want to do with the tank (e.g. have lots of red..etc.). You'll be amazed how much a densely planted tank can go thru. Many people still subconciously think adding more ferts will cause algae when at most times it wont..and most times will help the plant grow better and lower your algae problems if you can keep up on it.. with a high light tank.. you'll see defeciencies and algae problems really fast..obviously because things are progressing so fast... so if i'm a plant and you give me this much light and this much co2 to grow but then dont give me food.. i'll try to grow..but in the end..not do well cos there just wasn't enough.. its simple logic...
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 25th Oct 2005 at 01:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i thought that no3 best kept at 5 - 10 ppm? Hmmm well, now that you have mentioned it, my tank hasnt any algae for the past 6 mths, prob time to add in more ferts bit by bit to test out. Thanks for the advice again all of ya

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Actually i read the thread again and it seems like you're adding enough no3 for the high light tank since dosages are 3-4 days once.. i thought it was once weekly.